ATH-AD900 or SONY MDR-F1....OR AD700? (psy/goa/idm/ebm)
Oct 23, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and furthermore, based on what I've read, the MDR-F1 is somewhat less potent in terms of total low end "thump", than something like the HD 600/650 or K701/K702, and cannot even get in the ring with something like the D2000/D5000, however, I've never heard the F1, and I've stated this a few times

based on that, and based on my experience (in terms of what I own) with open 'phones (Grado and Sennheiser), I pointed him towards what I know, or to Audio-Technica, as they're an equally good 'phone (and some bucks cheaper than the F1)

popcorn.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the AD900s. They are wonderful for most of the genres I don't listen to like jazz and classical. The soundstage is startling. Since I listen to blues mostly, I'm selling them. If you listen to electronica, trance, or dance, you'll want more bass than the ADs provide (either the 900 or 700). You might want to check out a pair of Grado SR60s. Even if you buy new you won't lose money and they'll certainly tap your toes for you.

Mooch

eek.gif

Yes i know Grado rocks so i have to order the 60s or 80s the same time so i dont have to wait another month wondering how they tap my toes.if i dont like the grados il give them to my father who listen to rock n roll
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooops, I did it again. It is the second time when I made a wrong comparison between AD700 and AD900 basing strictly on memories. Sorry. So, I checked my logs (sometime I write down my HP impressions) and found the following:
AD700: all-arounder, plays anything, including fast music , like metall. Endless soundstage and rare involving (almost hypnotic) abilitiy make it best choice for new age, ambient and, probably, trance. Though it lacks bass impact for trance, IMO. Comfortable. Overall better than HD595, excluding vocals.

AD900: great all-arounder with no flaws, very accurate bass, deeper and stronger than AD700. Does not involve like AD700, soundstage is even wider. Nice choice for "the only headphone, no amps" approach. The comfort is the same to AD700.
I'll listen to trance with AD700 today and let you know my final thoughts.

biggrin.gif
popcorn.gif

I really appricitate that kostalex. I like the "hypnotic" and "rare involving" you write of the 700s im a little skeptic about the bass though since i like playing loud without the hights and mids killing the bass.will they handel bass adjustments to get more bass in some songs?

For the 900s: Thinking,Thinking,Thinking,Thinking,Thinking....ZZ zzz

F1s. Very tempting based on you and troymadisons post
So will be great to hear what you think

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Oct 23, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #17 of 24
HippieTom;4888067 said:
Hi. Now its time to try my first open cans. I have one week to deside before my money comes
smile_phones.gif

I have the k271s no and im very happy with them. But im very interested in getting me a good set of open cans to. Have never tried it before.

Im a oldtime goa fan and would love a can that is a little more fun.

Only Ultrasone....
wink_face.gif

Oct 23, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #18 of 24
troymadison. could you plese write some more thoughts on the F1s with f.eks. Astral Projection, Electric universe, Space tribe,MFG etc..

Or anybody else tried some of these phones with the listed artists.

Please share your thoughts.

Oct 23, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only Ultrasone....
wink_face.gif

Thanks. VERY HELPFULL
confused_face(1).gif
an open ultrasone then? anyway thats another story with the 2.0 surround system
tongue.gif
. maby i will try them if im buying wrong now
smile.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #20 of 24
Just got my F1s today.. Somethings impress me like the huge sound stage.. The left and right depth is staggering. Forward is also upfront. Imagine a triangle with the 3 points. The top would represent how far forward it extends. A nice holograph feel to it. The bass is the most unique I heard.. Just feels natural and unforced like convential headphones. It's like the bass has room to breath due to the unique design. Overall Id say the 900's would be of higher fidelity.. Too much smearing.. Even though the sound stage is huge, it doesn't take advantage of it. Instruments seem to be jumbled together.. Their seems to be a 'thickness' in the mid range.. Hard to describe. Clarity isn't up to my standards.. The 48s/SA5000 are vastly superior in this area. Detail is pretty good. On par with other 200.00 headphones. Bass does have slam and impact, but a bit loose and uncontrolled. These are VERY airy, and seem to be on the warm side, with a hint of darkness. These will excel for gaming and movies due to their undeniable strength. Large, natural soundstage thats both holograpthic and 3 dimensional .

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #22 of 24
I compared F1 to AD700 listening trance through Pico, FIIO E3, Millet Portable Hybrid.

F1 is better can overall, more refined and versatile. Its spacial abilities are top-notch. It is also the most comfortable full size can, especially for long sessions. Its sound is very relaxed and non fatiguing. I consider it to be best can for background listening, check my thoughts on background listening in my earbuds buyers guide, if I interested. I know some people (mostly designers and programmers) who listening trance at work as a background. F1 is a perfect can for them (not for their neighbours though).

But you are looking for "involving" can and AD700 it is. It sounds more lively, bright, agressive and artificial. All these features force you to dive into the music. It is hard to do anything else (read, write, think
smily_headphones1.gif
) when you listening trance on AD700. Note that it may be warm on ears when listening long.

There are some changes in my impressions comparing to my old notes. My ears have grown as I listened a lot of gear last 1,5 years.

First, I do not think that AD700 lacks bass anymore. It performs just right in bass area if amped and hits deep and very hard with bass-boosted FIIO. Unamped, it may lack bass though, but you have an amp.

Second, I do not think now that AD700 plays metal well, the guitars do not roar. Even well modded KSC-75 beats it easily for much less.

With regards to AD900: I am too lazy to get it from my other friend and compare. I compared it once very carefully to AD700 choosing which to buy and I decided to go with AD700. I recommend you to do the same. These cans are quite simillar, AD900 is better while not better enough to justify the price difference. Also, for AD900 price you may get some better can like DT880 or HD600. Pair any of these to inexpensive OTL tube amp, either Lunchbox or some chinese, and you'll be much more satisfied. This is not a general rule, higher ATs (AD1000, W1000) stands much better to competitors. This is just a matter of incompetetive pricing of AD900.

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I wished they had more clarity.
frown.gif

Yep. But as I suspected these are great gaming headphones. 3D, especially with SC in the mix.

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my F1s today.. Somethings impress me like the huge sound stage.. The left and right depth is staggering. Forward is also upfront. Imagine a triangle with the 3 points. The top would represent how far forward it extends. A nice holograph feel to it. The bass is the most unique I heard.. Just feels natural and unforced like convential headphones. It's like the bass has room to breath due to the unique design. Overall Id say the 900's would be of higher fidelity.. Too much smearing.. Even though the sound stage is huge, it doesn't take advantage of it. Instruments seem to be jumbled together.. Their seems to be a 'thickness' in the mid range.. Hard to describe. Clarity isn't up to my standards.. The 48s/SA5000 are vastly superior in this area. Detail is pretty good. On par with other 200.00 headphones. Bass does have slam and impact, but a bit loose and uncontrolled. These are VERY airy, and seem to be on the warm side, with a hint of darkness. These will excel for gaming and movies due to their undeniable strength. Large, natural soundstage thats both holograpthic and 3 dimensional .

Congrats on your new phones bubba.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I compared F1 to AD700 listening trance through Pico, FIIO E3, Millet Portable Hybrid.

F1 is better can overall, more refined and versatile. Its spacial abilities are top-notch. It is also the most comfortable full size can, especially for long sessions. Its sound is very relaxed and non fatiguing. I consider it to be best can for background listening, check my thoughts on background listening in my earbuds buyers guide, if I interested. I know some people (mostly designers and programmers) who listening trance at work as a background. F1 is a perfect can for them (not for their neighbours though).

But you are looking for "involving" can and AD700 it is. It sounds more lively, bright, agressive and artificial. All these features force you to dive into the music. It is hard to do anything else (read, write, think
smily_headphones1.gif
) when you listening trance on AD700. Note that it may be warm on ears when listening long.

There are some changes in my impressions comparing to my old notes. My ears have grown as I listened a lot of gear last 1,5 years.

First, I do not think that AD700 lacks bass anymore. It performs just right in bass area if amped and hits deep and very hard with bass-boosted FIIO. Unamped, it may lack bass though, but you have an amp.

Second, I do not think now that AD700 plays metal well, the guitars do not roar. Even well modded KSC-75 beats it easily for much less.

With regards to AD900: I am too lazy to get it from my other friend and compare. I compared it once very carefully to AD700 choosing which to buy and I decided to go with AD700. I recommend you to do the same. These cans are quite simillar, AD900 is better while not better enough to justify the price difference. Also, for AD900 price you may get some better can like DT880 or HD600. Pair any of these to inexpensive OTL tube amp, either Lunchbox or some chinese, and you'll be much more satisfied. This is not a general rule, higher ATs (AD1000, W1000) stands much better to competitors. This is just a matter of incompetetive pricing of AD900.

Thanks for that comparison alex.I most likely go with the ad700s
icon10.gif

Seems to be a good phone for that money so i let you all know when i order next week and share my thoughs when they arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back