ATH-AD700 vs AKG K81DJ
Jun 24, 2006 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Slappy

New Head-Fier
It might not be fair to compair these two as the ath cost almost twice the akg, but both these headphines have gotten good press around here lately. Has anyone compared the sound of these two? You terrible people have already convinced me to get a xin-mini to go with my sr80's, and now looking to compliment the grados with a semi-portable closed can.
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 4
wow! now that is a very apples/oranges comparison. i happen to have both. first off, the AD700 are an open can vs the closed back K81DJs. the ATs are very open sounding with a lot of air and a pretty big soundstage. they are laid back cans. the AKGs are the exact opposite. the ATs have bass and is well represented but it certainly isn't elevated. AKGs have BASS. well represented - especially with the foam removal mod - but it is much more in your face than the ATs (everything is much more in your face with these little gems). and the physical dimensions are on opposite sides as well. the AKGs are wonderfully compact and minimalist. the ATs are big! not for public consumption unless you like to be stared at.

don't get me wrong - i enjoy both, but they are so different that if you are looking for a recommendation you are going to need to detail what you will be using them for.

Jun 25, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 4
Well, if you're looking for a good closed can, the K 81s take the prize. Amazing sq, and nothing in that price range can touch it's performance (especially with the foam removed).

Jun 25, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 4
I meant to write a700, sorry.
rolleyes.gif
I had heard the a a700/a900 were a very tight, fast can, good for techno/rock. Most important it has to be closed so it can be portable. Thanks for the replys. I was curiuos to include the a700 because it's not exactly in the akg k81dj price range. Does the akg still shine when compared to the ath?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back