ATH-AD700 best <$100 choice?
Mar 23, 2010 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

NimbleRabit

100+ Head-Fier
A friend of mine is looking to get a pair of headphones around the $100 pricepoint, and he asked me to help him figure out what the best choice is. I would have recommended JVC RX900, but he's completely against modding, so upon doing some research I came upon the ATH-AD700.

He listens to a lot of fast metal, also tons of slower indie stuff. And he games, a lot, and wants these to work great with gaming. Comfort is also paramount, and portability/isolation/leakage are all nonfactors.

So thread upon thread that I found people seem to praise the ATH-AD700, and I just wanted to make sure: is this the best choice?

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 16
Seems like a good one for what he needs them for, but you may ask him how much bass he wants because they are bass light from everything I've read.

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like a good one for what he needs them for, but you may ask him how much bass he wants because they are bass light from everything I've read.

I know for sure that he does like bass, but not an inordinate amount. He prefers the bass to be very impactful, but tight and fast as well. Is the AD700 going to be too light on the bass?

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 16
I have no clue because I haven't heard them, and bass is always so subjective. Maybe just have a little patience and see where this thread goes =).

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 16
Also consider the Alessandro MS1.

It's plasticky, looks vintage World War II and build quality isn't exactly great, but it sounds good. For the price, it is one of the better deals in headphones.

Comfort might not be great depending on the user. The stock comfy earpads should be comfier than bowl pads, but I think it sounds better with the bowl pads.

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also consider the Alessandro MS1.

It's plasticky, looks vintage World War II and build quality isn't exactly great, but it sounds good. For the price, it is one of the better deals in headphones.

Comfort might not be great depending on the user. The stock comfy earpads should be comfier than bowl pads, but I think it sounds better with the bowl pads.

This is another one I had considered, but kind of shied away from because some reviewers mentioned that the highs were a little harsh. I don't think he'd be a fan of that, and the intense electric guitars/high pitch singing of a lot of his metal might not turn out the best? Perhaps I'll read a few more reviews on these, and get his opinion on if they look okay/comfortable enough for him.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 16
I told him to go for the AD700's and he bought them a few hours ago, so we'll see how he likes them once they get here. I'll probably post back with my own impressions as well, although I know there's already been plenty of reviews.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 16
They're great headphones. The bass is there, just without much punch. They are good for many genres and are supremely comfortable.

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ear Damage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass is present but without impact. Comfort is second to none. AD700s can be pushed easily with any source but bass can come out with an amp of some sort.

I'm in the slight minority where I think the AD700s comfort is like a 4 out of a 10. They DO feel good around the ears, but their design flaws set it back in comfort for me. They are WAAAAY too lose, so unless you put a rubber band under the wings, they will constantly slip off your head with the slightest head movement. After the rubber band mod, they lose their extreme comfort and they start feeling fatiguing around your ears. Wearing a skull cap helps it stay put without a rubber band, but I don't wanna have to wear one at all times.

I love the sound they put out for gaming, but they aren't the funnest cans as their bass is waaaay too light to get any true enjoyment out of them.

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 16
The AD700s have always sounded grainy to me (they're a friend's) even out of my Glite with well-recorded CDs. That said, the soundstage is truly amazing, but the sound itself left me wanting. Gaming is probably a good application for these.

I agree with MadLustEnvy on the comfort, I thought that they really sucked in that area. I couldn't even lean my head back without them slipping off. At the same time, there was a clamp right on my jaw, which was uncomfortable, but YMMV.

I've never heard the SR60/80/MS-1, so I cannot pass judgement on those, but I've always heard that they're tremendous budget headphones for rock and metal.

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #13 of 16
More in your face is actually BAD for competitive gaming. You'd need to be able to judge distance and positioning for serious online gaming, which are the AD700s strong points. This is assuming you're using surround sound processing like Dolby Headphone and Silent Cinema.

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 16
Well the RX900 is my first real headphone so i'm not so familiar with the audiophile terms :p

Positioning was definitely there but with closed cans, i feel i could concentrate more and the sounds were easier to pick up compared to my old open siberia.

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #15 of 16
it's all in your head
smily_headphones1.gif
you want a massive soundstage with good positioning, i personally wouldnt even audition a closed can for gaming.... maybe for single player, but even then i'd still prefer an open can.... the battle isn't going on inside your head, it's happening all around you.... it's really hard to understand or explain if you've never experienced it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back