ATH-AD700 - A Gem
Jul 30, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #16 of 37
I just picked up my ATH-AD700's, and they sound amazing. They have almost no bass unless you use a bass boost feature of some kind. My setup is the following right now:

iPod Nano -> FiiO E5 -> ATH-AD700

And the FiiO with the bass boost absolutely completes these phones. If you have ATH-AD700's, but don't have an amp, buy the FiiO and you'll have one hell of a combo for 90$. I need to listen to them directly at some point so I can find out some more info.

Two complaints thus far: pads are itchy, and the cord is wierd in that it's almost bending backwards towards me, so the cord almost digs into my shoulder. I am not sure if the speakers are new or not, but we'll have to see if they benefit from burnin. I'll be using them exclusively for the next week or two to find out. I'll post back every now and then with my impressions but the headphone I've got on my head, whether or not it's different from a retail product (being refurbished) is just amazing and I recommend it.

They sound really good really loud.

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #17 of 37
I have heard you can wash the pads... It's funny I tested a pair (that I took back to the store because I thought I couldn't handle the losseness of the phones on my head) and those were itchy. I ended up buying a used pair out of the FS forum because I really liked the sound of the phones and that pair has never bothered me with itchyness.

Jul 30, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #18 of 37
I like my ad700s. These are my best pair of headphones (I just found out about head-fi this year
atsmile.gif
) I use these headphones mainly for classical music. I love the soundstage on these headphones. I also like listening to the album rodrigo y gabriela through the ATH-AD700. It really is a gem for me.

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #20 of 37
Anyone know how to remove the ear pads? I can't seem to figure it out and I'm afraid to damage the cans trying lol.

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by RicHSAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know how to remove the ear pads? I can't seem to figure it out and I'm afraid to damage the cans trying lol.

I'll look into it at some point so I can wash mine but I too am afraid of such things. Usually taking it off isn't as troublesome as putting them back on.

atsmile.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently listening to Ozric Tentacles on them just to test that supposedly lacking bass that I have read about.

NICE taste man! Don't see that kind of music around here too often, keep it up ^_^

Jul 31, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #25 of 37
I am listening to billy joel's "Everybody Loves you Now" and it's bringing tears to my eyes.

It's so damned beautiful!

Straight from my X-Fi these things jam the **** out!

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #26 of 37
Great cans for sure! Loved the ad700s so much when I got them, I sold my hd600s. Then the ad900s came along and the rest is history...

By the way, I had ad2000s and wasnt that impressed. The ad900s are better IMO

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #27 of 37
I am a current (proud) ownder of these wonderful cans. I unfortunately do not own an amp, but I plan to buy a Xonar Essence STX because it will serve as a nice DAC and amp combo for college (still not sure if I'm going desktop + netbook or laptop + netbook).

I really enjoy almost every aspect of these cans, the highs are beautiful - when the drummer strikes a cymbal, I can hear it shimmering into silence again. There is such a range too, I can hear the subtle differences in the cymbals and everything. The mids are responsive and exactly where they should be. The bass I love as well - My library is mostly rock music, and the detail and clarity in the low end really makes a difference. It lacks the impact that makes electronic music enjoyable, however, but I still use them to listen to it.

The soundstage is very airy and is presented nicely. After using the foobar DSP chain of convert stereo to 5.1 channels -> Dolby headphone the presentation opens up even more. For $90 shipped from amazon you really can't go wrong. I would really like to try the AD900s though, I just wasn't sure if it was worth the money.

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #28 of 37
I'm hoping to get the ad900s before the end of August. I really like the AD700s, so I can't wait to hear what an improved version of them sounds like hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back