ATH AD5
Jun 26, 2004 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mektarus

500+ Head-Fier
Does anyone (other than DJ Mocok of course) have any experience with the AD5 or any of the open AT cans? The A500 and A900 are commonly regarded as the best closed headphones in their price range and the AD5 and AD9 appear to be open versions of those. I'm looking for good all-around headphones in this price range and DJ Mocok has peaked my interest.
tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2004 at 11:08 AM Post #3 of 11
i think if im not mistaken, some of the japanese members here have tried AD5, but not sure about owning it...

some other users have owned higher end AD series (AD10 and such) and i think some of them are quite disappointed... maybe because they are very expensive but performance wise, not as good as the price tag ?

i forgot, one japanese members have actually sampled a few AD series (couldnt find the thread), if im not mistaken AD9, AD5, and AD7. and his preference is actually from the cheapest one to the most expensive one...weird huh ?

but i have read lots of people are very happy with AD7.

but if you want cheaper, all around, extreeemely comfortable cans, then AD5 is your choice then. come join me as the minority owner of AD5 ! hehe...

opsie... im not suppose to make any comments about AD5 ? hehe..
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 11
eggosmile.gif
Thanks for the input. I also remember reading somewhere that the AD500 is the new version of the AD5. Audiocubes has both but they are listed under different categories (AD5 in audiophile and AD500 in casual) appear to use different drivers and the AD500 is $10 cheaper. Do you know anything about the ADx00 series?

Jun 28, 2004 at 12:03 PM Post #6 of 11
My vote goes to the AD7. While in Tokyo, I sampled the AD10, AD7, AD5, and the AD9, and also the AD700. I perfered the sound of the AD7 the most, and seemed to be just right in the price/performance/value categories. The sound of the AD7 and the AD700 were different, but I am not sure if it was because the AD7 was burned in a while, while the AD700 was just put on display (this was in November of 2003). The price of the AD7 was 8600 yen ($78 USD), which I think is a steal. I would have bought one, but I spent a lot of money on MD equipment.

Jun 28, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #7 of 11
8600 yen for AD7 ?? thats a steal ! you shouldve bought it that time.
i have never seen AD7 goes lower than 10,000 yen mark...

i got my AD5 for 6000 yen or something, and thats already like 40% discounted due to discontinuation.

Jun 28, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 11
There is an AD10 review in the review section.

With the pad modification and a bit of eq they are an excellent headphone. Without those steps they have blurry highs, an over-emphasis on the upper mids. The bass is tight, but rolls off too soon, much like HD600s.

gerG

Jun 29, 2004 at 2:04 PM Post #11 of 11
Not yet. This is harder than naming my kids.
blink.gif

Right now I think I have it narrowed down between the A500 (there just isn't enough info on the ADxxx series), K240s and DT250-80. But everytime I feel like I'm ready to pull the trigger I read another opinion that makes me doubt one of the phones I'm considering or makes me reconsider another phone. I know that each set of headphones will sound different to each person and that any of these cans will sound worlds better than anything else I've ever heard but I am not planning on becoming a headphone collector (famous last words) so I want phones that I'm going to want to use for a while.

I want this
eggosmile.gif
not this
basshead.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
so mektarus, have you decided what to get ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back