ATH-AD2000 worth the $500? Any other within this price range?
Oct 18, 2007 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Xoen

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking at the ATH-AD2000's and there's not much info on them on here, except for some mixed reviews on them. I've read quite a bit on them and thought that they best described what I'd like from my music. But after reading a few of info of them on here, some say they're overpriced, some say they sound better than the Senn HD600's, some say they're similar to the AKG K701s, some say they're the best in this price range, which all kinda made me a bit skeptical.

Basically, I'm just looking for a headphone with a wide soundstage, which is one important factor for my listening pleasures. It doesn't have to be very wide, but just enough so I can tell the instrument separation. I want to be surrounded by music. I want to be in a 6th row seating in the concert, NOT on stage with the band. Bass is also another factor. Doesn't have to be strong, but needs tightness as well as some impact, with a little coloration but flows well with the music. I also like smooth sounding mids, and highs has to be clear can't be harsh sounding.

I can spend upwards to a little over $600 if there's a headphone in that price range that best fits what I've said above. I've read about the bass on the AD2000's and some say they wanted more. As long as they punchier than my AD700's (which I think actually improved after over 200 hours burn in), or even the AD900's (which I don't have), that's great. Also, some have said the soundstage isn't very wide. For those experienced with the AD700's as well as the AD2000's, would the soundstage be better on the AD2000's or worse than the AD700's? Otherwise, let me know of any other options of headphones within the $500 price range. My music is mostly Trance, 80's rock and power ballads, ambient, some classical, and acoustic.

Thanks Head-Fi and sorry for another topic concerning headphones in a specific price range!

Oct 18, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 13
Have the exact same question. I just sent back my ATH-AD900, for despite loving them to death, I'm seriously considering the AD2000s, and have a month to decide, so I want to do as much research as possible.

Michael

Oct 18, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 13
Mmmmm, the AD2000. My favorite headphone.
smily_headphones1.gif

But I digress. The AD2000 may not be the headphone for you. Its soundstage is such that it excels at telling you where the walls are - not really "wide" or "deep" per se, but it effortlessly tells you just how much space exists in the recording. The K701, my next favorite headphone, simply fails at this, it imposes a general over-spatial image.

It doesn't really "surround" either, at least in the sense of soundstage. It does push lots of mid-range though and since music mostly lives in the mid-range it can feel like you're in the midst of it regardless. "Smooth" isn't a word I'd use to describe it, more like creamy and would you like that with hot cocoa? Nowhere near laidback.

Bass is fast and accurate but unlike some other headphones like the K701 and HD650, the AD2000 hits low with both power and speed. The K701 doesn't hit very low (well at least on its stock cord) and lacks power (but does have speed). The HD650 doesn't hit quite as low but exudes more power. The AD2000 is more like a well-oiled tight drum that can rumble yet snap at the same time. It's the only headphone I've heard that properly renders inner-cavity resonance for example, like from a timpani. And it provides just enough impact for electronica - not overblown, but controlled.

Sure, $500 is a lot of coin for it but I ended up thinking it was worth it. It's also one of the few upper-end dynamic open headphones that doesn't really need high-end components in its chain - it sounds nearly as good on a laptop/Bithead as it does on a high-end $2.5K CDP on a $1.8K solid-state amp! Of course there are improvements from the high-end system but compared to other headphones there's much less difference. And it's extremely efficient too, easily runs directly off a sound card. Though one should be careful with its efficiency because it easily picks up machine noise, hiss, hum, etc.

Oct 18, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 13
ASR...thank you for a beautiful explanation including comparisons.

Oct 18, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 13
Great post ASR! I noticed you came up a couple of times during some of the searches for the AD2000's here, and I was honestly hoping you would post here
smily_headphones1.gif

About the part where you described what the soundstage is like, do you or anyone know if it would be bigger than the AD700's? Does it provide a better sense of space in the music, or is it the same as the AD700's or worse? The way you described how the AD2000's can tell you where the walls are gave me the impression as if the music sounds like it's being played in an large sized room, rather than an outside concert. I don't have any other phone but my AD700's to compare it to. But all I know is that I'm usually surrounded by music in my AD700s, typically my ambient music tracks. As long as the soundstage is bigger than my AD700's then I wouldn't mind.

Of course, I'm aware that headphones will never achieve the same spaciousness as loudspeakers, but a great sense of space in a headphone is good enough. So any other phone in the $500 price range that I might consider before plunking down the cash for the AD2000, if I can find a site? Thanks for the replies!

Oct 18, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 13
If you're looking for a headphone around ~$500 with a wide soundstage and you don't care if it's open or closed... it may be in your interest to wait for my review of the Sony PFR-V1
smily_headphones1.gif

The AD2000 is a good headphone though.

Oct 18, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 13
I agree... the AD2000 is "one sweet" headphone! With the right set up and once its burnt in - possibly one of the very best available with jazz, R&B, country, and classical.

Sort of a cross between the HD600/580 and RS-1 - though a bit more neutral. Very fast, with incredible clarity and detail, warm mids, bass impact, extension and definition; as well as extended highs and soundstage.

Very sensitive and efficient, it doesn't require an expensive system to sound great, as the Senns do. The bass is big and bold, without any boom, though not quite as much impact as the HD650's, and not quite as warm as the Grados and Senns - the bass is focused a little lower in the frequency range, than these - so the mids are less colored by the bass.

If it has a very minor flaw, it would be that, without the right set up, at higher volume levels, the upper mids can be just a slight bit over-emphasized, and the highs can be a slight bit bright (compared to the Senns), somewhat like the Grados - though this is tempered by burn in and the right set up.

But... this headphone can sound, simply, incredible with a very simple set up, like the Sony Walkman CDP, and Shellbrook Audio Maxi-Moy, or it can rival the best available, with a more expensive set up.

No question... its worth the asking price of Audio Cubes, or Price Japan.

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 13
Thanks ASR and gradofan, I think I really am gonna shoot to get these as my end-all cans. I'll be pairing them with a Porta Corda MKIII off of an M-Audio Transit, hopefully they'll go nicely together.

Oct 18, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking for a headphone around ~$500 with a wide soundstage and you don't care if it's open or closed... it may be in your interest to wait for my review of the Sony PFR-V1
smily_headphones1.gif

The AD2000 is a good headphone though.

are you alraedy trying to start a new FOTM
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #10 of 13
So I guess the AD2000 is the best bet in the $500 price range? After reading GradoFan's review on these, I'm a little convinced this may be the best bet. I looked around these forums some more, and the Senn HD650's, which are a little cheaper than the AD2000, seems to kinda fit my listening requirements, but I don't think my current set-up would make them sound their best (check sig and profile) since a lot say you need the "right" setup to make them sound their best.

I mean, my AT headphones sound really great from my current setup but I don't know how it'll fare well with the HD650, which is why I'm not considering them nor would buying a better amp be financially possible at this moment. I appreciate everyone's replies though, and I welcome some more opinions.
600smile.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I guess the AD2000 is the best bet in the $500 price range? After reading GradoFan's review on these, I'm a little convinced this may be the best bet. I looked around these forums some more, and the Senn HD650's, which are a little cheaper than the AD2000, seems to kinda fit my listening requirements, but I don't think my current set-up would make them sound their best (check sig and profile) since a lot say you need the "right" setup to make them sound their best.

I mean, my AT headphones sound really great from my current setup but I don't know how it'll fare well with the HD650, which is why I'm not considering them nor would buying a better amp be financially possible at this moment. I appreciate everyone's replies though, and I welcome some more opinions.
600smile.gif

Not to confuse you - but... I'm just as happy with my modified HD580's (HD600 grills, HD650 cable) with my set up, as I am my AD2000's... or... nearly so - they have slightly less airy and detailed highs. Of course they cost a lot less than the AD2000's.

But... they do require a pretty good set up (just the right DAC, amp and cables). And... the HD650s are even more finicky, and really struggle to provide the clarity and detail of the HD600/580s, or AD2000s - you'll end up with more invested to achieve anything close to the sound of the AD2000s.

I haven't heard any of these with your set up - but, I would bet the AD2000s will come closest to meeting your expectations... though the modified HD580's might come close, at a much lower cost.

Oct 18, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But... they do require a pretty good set up (just the right DAC, amp and cables). And... the HD650s are even more finicky, and really struggle to provide the clarity and detail of the HD600/580s, or AD2000s - you'll end up with more invested to achieve anything close to the sound of the AD2000s.

So you're saying I could save some money on better amps and DACs if I buy the AD2000, as opposed to buying an HD650 and buying a specific amp and DAC plus cables to get the sound that's close to the AD2000? That's pretty interesting.
3000smile.gif
:

Oct 18, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So you're saying I could save some money on better amps and DACs if I buy the AD2000, as opposed to buying an HD650 and buying a specific amp, DAC, and cables to get the sound that's close to the AD2000? That's pretty interesting.
3000smile.gif
:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back