ATH-AD1000 - a disregarded headphone?
Mar 18, 2008 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

iancraig10

Headphoneus Supremus
After trying out some ATH-AD700's for some time now, I decided to go further up the AT range just for the hell of it.

In the UK, we can't (easily) get the ATH-AD2000 but there are outlets for the 1000. I emailed Audio Technica who replied with an email saying that differences between the 1000 and 2000 were minimal and so they weren't planning on releasing the 2000 in the UK for the foreseeable future. (Shame on them)

Well, a mate of mine deals in headphones and does loads of deals for me and got me a pair of AD1000's for nothing!! (Yes!!!!)

Even brand new, they are an improvement on the AD700. The top end feels very different and they still have that light feathery sound that AT seem to have. In fact, they are sort of in between Senns and Grados in tone quality.

Looking here, there is hardly any info on the 1000's. A couple of guys really hated them. (Bet they weren't burnt in)

I seem to have an attraction to the AT house sound and I am finding the 1000's to be a very pleasant listen in spite of their newness.

Does anyone have long term experience with them? (Not the tried it and hate it brigade), but someone who stuck out with them. I am curious as to how the headphones could change over time. My 700's have a lot of hours on them and their sound is very different to the 1000 which seems more in focus with that AT crispness stll there.

Just wonder whether the bass region moves in a bit more with time.
Also - does the fat pad mod change the sound? I notice that the 700's change dramatically if you push down on the pads. The 1000's also change. Both develop more bass and a more middly sound.
Anyone got any long term info on the 1000. Looks to me as though Headfi has its back turned on the poor old ATH-AD1000.

ian

Mar 18, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 6
for sometime i have been interested in the D1000/2000 line..
these are not easily found and therefore nearly impossible to audition

the D2000s are quite expensive but the D1000 is somewhere between the D700 and the D2000 pricewise, but I have read comments here where others have panned the D1000...

it's good to hear a positive review....

Mar 18, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 6
Actually, I saw those comments, which is what attracted me to the range. The comments so far have been about no bass (not true), sibilance (truer, I think on the AD700) and edgy sound. (No more edgy than a Grado. In fact a bit less than a Grado.

The treble quality on the ad1000 is different (at the moment) compared to the AD700 and the bass level is similar.

They are definately a revealing headphone. If they mellow with use, that will be a bonus.

A great freeby but no real information on them. While I'm here, is there anywhere that any of you guys know where a Freq. response chart can be got from regarding the 1000 and 2000? (700's too while I'm at it!!)

Ian

Mar 18, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 6
I had AD1000s for about 3months until I traded them for AD2000. AD1000s are all right, and they were burned in for about 500hrs. I thought they were minimal improvement over AD900s - sounded very similar. AD2000 IMO were entirely different league altogether. I haven't had chance to A/B them, but bass impact & Midrange performance were the biggest improvements. Listening to AD1000 wasn't bad - but there were better choices to be had at that price range. AD2000, on the other hand, blew rest of AD series out of water. There was just so much emotion being conveyed in vocals, and its bass made me giggle like a schoolgirl. Detail present was certainly better than K701s, on par with DT880 (perhaps more, since I have mismatched amp for AD2000).

AD1000 are good 'phones - I'm not trying to bash them. It's just that AD2000 does everything better IMO and I believe they are one of great cans and I actually feel them to be quite underrated. Strong yen doesn't help matters because AD2000 are around 550$ now.

That was just my quick 2 cents.
biggrin.gif
I am a big AT fanboy, but I don't think there was any massive exaggerations (except that I had these cans for about 3 weeks now and still in I-love-my-new-toy-its-so-nice syndrome). But after getting AD2000, it rendered my K701&PH-12 combo pretty much useless, and my plans to get Dt880 scrapped.

If you have a chance to listen to AD2000 with good setup, take that oppotunity.

On the last note, AD2000s are HORRIBLE 'phones for finding faults. extension - yup, good on both ends. Bass - yup. Impact - superb. mids - eargasmic. Detail? -yup. Such a boring pair of 'phones because they do well with anything you throw at them.

Mar 18, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks Rednamalas 1. I love the clarity but getting a 2000 is a bit difficult in the UK. It's going to have to come straight from Japan.

Having heard the 1000, I am definately going to go the 2000 route in the future since I was given this headphone but it is strange how Audio Technica claim that differences are minimal. They just don't want me to get a pair.

I just wonder how these ones will change over time.

Ian

Mar 18, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Rednamalas 1. I love the clarity but getting a 2000 is a bit difficult in the UK. It's going to have to come straight from Japan.

Unfortunately taxes are brutal in EU, from what I've been hearing...and I thought our tax was bad...

Quote:

Having heard the 1000, I am definately going to go the 2000 route in the future since I was given this headphone but it is strange how Audio Technica claim that differences are minimal. They just don't want me to get a pair.

AT EU probably wants you to get AD1000 first, then leave you wondering what AD2000s are for later purchase.

Quote:

I just wonder how these ones will change over time.

Ian

You'll like them
biggrin.gif
I thought it was colored differently - great with jazz and blues IMO.

Have fun! and Happy listening!
-R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back