ATH AD-700 cable bit in half by a bunny :(
Aug 4, 2010 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

unclepauly

Head-Fier
How can I salvage this? The cable is bit in two only 1 1/2 ft from the hp's. Can I just buy a new cable and re-cable it? If so is there a guide or is it not a very difficult endeavor? Thanks for any advice

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 10
You could solder the two halves back together and fill the resulting silicon void with pieces and layers of heat shrink.  Cover up with more heat shrink :)

That's the cheapest way. and shouldn't look all that bad if you can match the cable color

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 10
If you're actually Patrick82, which I highly suspect you are, just solder on some of that spare Valhalla cable you've got laying around and cover it up with ERS paper.

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 10
yep, no negative effects.  That is until someone claims they can "hear" a solder joint
redface.gif

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 10
haha who the hell is Patrick82? I can assure you I'm not him. It's my step daughters rabbit and the f'n thing has chewed up wires all over house but her mom won't make her get rid of it

Aug 7, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 10
Ah, but headphone cables, especially smaller gauge, are just too tempting for rabbits.  I had a rabbit chew on mine years back.  Yummy.  If you don't mind a shorter cable, just hack it off and resolder the 1/8" jack.  Or, upgrade the jack since this seems to be a good time...while the cable is apart...

Aug 7, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
If you're actually Patrick82, which I highly suspect you are, just solder on some of that spare Valhalla cable you've got laying around and cover it up with ERS paper.

I miss that guy and his posts, too bad he's gone for good. :frowning2:
back to the topic, it's quite simple to recable the ad700, given that you already had some soldering experiences. There's a thread here about opening up the thing, look around.
or you can simply solder the 2 pieces together. My method is that you pull out about 1 cm of cable insulation at each end, twist the 2 copper wires together, then apply some solder on, heatshrink comes last. that'd work for quite awhile, at least until you get bored with the ad700 and upgrade your rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back