ATH AD-500x durability and alternatives
Sep 7, 2017 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

irate_honey_badger

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

First post as you may be guessing.

Anyhow, I'm fairly new to the whole headphone world; I've been using a pair of 1980s studio headphones that my father gave me, but after a lot of use and 2 recablings they're all but dead. As such I'm in the market for a new pair which i'll use very regularly for music (classical orchestral, piano opera and a fair bit of classic and 80s rock) and gaming. I'm also studying and working overseas at the moment so I'm looking for a pair that's fairly durable and that I can get a sold 3 or so years of use out of.

I originally decided on the ATH M40x's due to their reputed sound quality and the ability to swap cables but I've seen quite a few reports from people with m40s who've had the swivelling and folding parts near the ear cups crack or just break altogether. That revelation has led me to the slightly more expensive AT AD-500x's which from what I can tell are very good quality for the price, save the "straight cable". What I'd like to know is what the build quality on the 500xs are like and specifically what is the quality of the cable like especially where is enters the headphone and if there are any other similar sturdy options preferably with a detachable cable?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back