ATH-A900X VS. ATH-AD900X
Nov 20, 2014 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Plexon

Head-Fier
Heyo everyone!

Im planning to get a nice set of cans for my gaming rig. If closed, I will buy an at2020 for the microphone, and if open, I will buy the ModMic 4.0

Anyway, Im planning to buy a sound blaster Z so I can use 5.1

Which do you suggest, the A900X or the AD900X for gaming?

I play games like CSGO, but I also use mumble/skype to talk.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 8
  Heyo everyone!

Im planning to get a nice set of cans for my gaming rig. If closed, I will buy an at2020 for the microphone, and if open, I will buy the ModMic 4.0

Anyway, Im planning to buy a sound blaster Z so I can use 5.1

Which do you suggest, the A900X or the AD900X for gaming?

I play games like CSGO, but I also use mumble/skype to talk.

Thanks in advance!

Unless you need a closed headphone, open is generally better for gaming as it gives you better soundstage and imaging.

Reasons why you'd need closed:
1 - You're in a really loud environment and need to keep the ambient noise out.
2 - You're in a spectacularly quiet environment where leakage from your headphones will disturb others.

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 8
I am planning to get a modmic/audio technica AT2020 Microphone, thats why Im worried about open. I have read reviews sayting that the modmic doesnt pick up sound from most open headsets at medium volumes, which is what I listen at, so I think Ill go for open.

I also was looking at the AKG Q701s. Those or the AD900's?

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 8
  I am planning to get a modmic/audio technica AT2020 Microphone, thats why Im worried about open. I have read reviews sayting that the modmic doesnt pick up sound from most open headsets at medium volumes, which is what I listen at, so I think Ill go for open.

I also was looking at the AKG Q701s. Those or the AD900's?

I've never heard of any mic picking up sound from open headphones.  

I've never heard the AD900, but I can tell you that the Q701 is pretty awesome for gaming.  Did you read MLE's review?

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 8
Just read it. I really wanna get these now! I could always return if its THAT big of an issue :p Im planning to get a soundblaster Z for surround sound and I recieved a free NuForce UDAC3 from NuForce for testing!

Nov 20, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 8
  Just read it. I really wanna get these now! I could always return if its THAT big of an issue :p Im planning to get a soundblaster Z for surround sound and I recieved a free NuForce UDAC3 from NuForce for testing!

If you're playing in front of your computer and you're getting a Z, you don't need another Mic.  The Z comes with one that works fine.  

Nov 21, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 8
Unless you need a closed headphone, open is generally better for gaming as it gives you better soundstage and imaging.

Reasons why you'd need closed:
1 - You're in a really loud environment and need to keep the ambient noise out.
2 - You're in a spectacularly quiet environment where leakage from your headphones will disturb others.

Right, and closed headphones dampen sound but don't completely silence, for example, several people talking, and IEMs easily outperform closed headphones in the noise isolation department (IEM's are even better than Active Noise Cancelling units). Pretty much the only time closed headphones are optimal are for reducing the small amount of headphone sound leaking out and if you can't get a good IEM eartip fit for comfort. If you have IEMS with a good fit, they basically do everything better than a closed headphone except the feeling of bass on your outer ears.

I've never heard of any mic picking up sound from open headphones.  

I've never heard the AD900, but I can tell you that the Q701 is pretty awesome for gaming.  Did you read MLE's review?

AD900 is supposed to be a step up and more well-rounded upgrade from the AD700 I had for three years, but even with a mild bass boost I'd still point out that the Q701 are former top of line flagships selling at ridiculously good clearance prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back