ATH-A900's in public?
Oct 24, 2007 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

smarrad

New Head-Fier
I REALLY want to be told that these cans are ok to be worn around the city/commuting. However, i'm 99% certain that this is out of the question. "look like an alien" is the quote that sticks in my mind - i cant find pics of anyone wearing them.

So, what should i get instead? I've got $200-$250 to spend.

I'd be using them with my ipod and , although i'd rather not buy and amp, i'll invest in one (at an additional cost) if I really need to - might have to use them withough for a while first.

I mainly listen to guitar based music - accoustic, rock, indie, industrial, grunge, metal - but also electro-pop and everything else in between.

The A900s look great in the pics - and I want a good looking set of cans - but, as i'll be wearing them alot, they need to look good ON MY HEAD.

Help!

confused.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 40
I seriously doubt headphones will make you a big hit with the ladies, regardless of what they are or what they look like. I've yet to meet a woman who has ever swooned over a pair of headphones a dude was wearing.

Once you can be comfortable with that, you can then move on to the realization that no one really gives a rat's ass about what you or your headphones look like. If no one else does, why should you? And even if they do care, why should you? Go with something that's comfortable and sounds good.

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 40
Ultrasone PROline? I really can't think of any audiophile-grade headphone that'll look fashionable... Go for that new ATH woody?

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 40
My old roommate wears Sennheiser HD 280 Pros when he's out and about. Anything you do will be more fashionable than that...

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

ATH-A900's in public?

Only when you're a cute Japanese girl.

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 40
Although the A900 looks very big, they are indeed quite fashionable in my opinion. They will get hot in the summer time, but make great winter outdoor cans. I wouldn't mind going outside with the A900.

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 40
An Alien with good taste.

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 40
The thing with the A900 is: where the hell are you going to store them when you've arrived at your destination! I definitely would not want to put them in my bag (even tho they have strong build quality, it looks like the wings could snap off if you are not careful.

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #14 of 40
Go for the fashionable junkie with taste: A900s around your neck when talking to people/not listening to music.

I've never listened to the ES7, but I doubt it'd look more alien than the A900, even fashionable.

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by smarrad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are they too big to hang around your neck?

You can do it, but you won't be able to nod your head!

The A900 will stick out - but purely because of its unique shape. They don't look any bigger than your normal Sony full sized cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back