ATH-A900 vs DT770 for Gaming/Music
Oct 4, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #16 of 23
Something to note is that there are many versions of the DT 770. If you want more balanced then the 770-80s are best, and they require an amp less. For more bass but demands an amp and less balanced the DT-770-250s are good. There are also 32s, which supposedly don't need an amp but I don't know much about them.

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that I may have found a good price on a set of the DT770s. If I were to go this route, what kind of amp would you guys suggest?

I did not experience them to be very picky with amplification. The standard 40$ Cmoy from Ebay should be sufficient.

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #18 of 23
Hey Guys!

Well, I called around to find a place to test out the DT770 Pro /80 and found that my local guitar center had them out for testing.

I was just simply amazed at the quality of them. Impressed enough to buy a pair. For cheaper than I would have gotten them anywhere else that I could find. (Been looking for deals for the two can mentioned for about a week now).

All I have to say is that after getting them back home and plugging them into my computer, I am simply amazed. And amazed isn't even good enough. I just love these.

I can't wait to get an amp later this month or early next montha nd see what they are really made of.

I'm also looking forward to listening to the change in sound as they burn in (I'm going to burn in just by listening since this is my first time to have a good set of cans, and I'd like to see the progression).

I really really like the bass that these put out. Does that make me a basshead? :wink:

Thanks for all of your input guys!

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really really like the bass that these put out. Does that make me a basshead?

Definetely!
tongue.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #20 of 23
hey blackal,
just wanted to comment on your dt770 adventure. I just got my dt770 80 ohm version, today, tried them out at a guitar center, ordered them on ebay that day new for 100 bucks lower then retail, absolutely love them, best purchase I've made in a long long time. As for amps, like the previous post said, I've read, standard cmoys do the trick, although other people say micro 3 or headvibe(i think) are also supposed to be good. But if price is a concern cmoys give that extra kick. Look into cmoys bass booster addition under the amp forum, a user by the name of blackinches is making them, should go on sale next week. They do the trick with the bass booster turned off for the dt770, and I own er6i's, which I've heard, sound amazing with the bass booster turned on.

Oct 5, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #21 of 23
Thanks for the ideas for the Amps. Heree are my initial thoughts on the proposed amps.

Cmoy: I don't like that this runs on a battery. My cans stay right by my computer and do very little travel, so I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to go with an amp that has a wall plug.

micro3: I couldn't find this one, but I did find the mini3. I believe this one also runs on a battery, but can also have a rechargable version. I will do some more research and find out more about this one.

headvibe: I couldn't find any info on this one. Gonna try broadening my search a bit.

Is there a good desktop amp I should look at, or would something like that be a much higher price.

I was also wondering....are there amps that accept digital inputs? My card has both coaxial and optical digital outputs, and I'm wondering if I would gain anything by running my sound out of here to an amp (if this is even possible) and then to my cans.

Thanks again everyone for being great helping me as I go through my first steps into the realm of good audio
smily_headphones1.gif
I imagine I am going to be an addict for these boards for quite some time!

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #22 of 23
You should probably consider getting a Go-Vibe if you can still get hold of one, same goes for the Porta Corda MkIII and Total Airhead (this last one is easy to get hold of since it's still being made as far as I know).

Personally, I use a Corda Move for my DT 770/80 Pros. This is because when I want to listen to music on my laptop I connect it via USB to make use of the Move's internal DAC. However, when I'm gaming I plug it directly into the line out of my X-Fi card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back