ATH-A900 or HFI-700 DVD
Dec 10, 2003 at 4:47 PM Post #31 of 36
I thought he might have meant microphonics...I really don't notice any with my A900's...I'm sittin here right now beating my cord against all sorts of things and I can't hear anything.

And by my cord I mean the cord on the A900's...
rolleyes.gif

Dec 10, 2003 at 7:53 PM Post #32 of 36
SpoonMan,

Yes, all headphone cords induce some sort of noise.

If you are listening to lively music you may not notice it.

but if you happen to listen at very low volume levels, or if listening to music with silent passages, there may be a problem when you move your head or body.

so you learn not to move your head or body when critically listening.
biggrin.gif

in the case of the CD3000, it felt the same as if I was chewing on aluminium foil. (I have a few teeth fillings). I am psycholoically sensitive to a certain sound spectrum. For me, take a piece of paper and quickly run your thumb and forefinger along the slimmest (?) edge. That sound will make me crawl up the wall. literally.

Zeplin,

you're a madman.
biggrin.gif
so you're getting the driver even closer to your cheekbone? have you tried the O-ring tweak, yet?

yes, I have always found the ATHs to be very, very, very comfortable. But i also found that the squeezing of the pad contributed to sound changes (as you did). I prefer to rotate my round pads every three months 90 degrees for longevity.

and it was because of the A1000 breakage mentioned that I question all ATHs.

Dec 12, 2003 at 4:34 AM Post #35 of 36
I have few questions regarding A900... Does the A900 need an amp with the iPod ? Will it improve a lot of sound quality with a portable amp like Xin mini ?

Dec 12, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #36 of 36
As you may have already read, the A900 are very easily driven. I tried them with my friend's 3G iPod and no problems at all. Even my weak n505 minidisc recorder can power them. However, they do benefit greatly from an amp. I just got an Echo Indigo for my laptop and the improvements in driving the A900 are huge, with much increased detail and clarity compared to a portable unit. The most dramatic improvements seem to be more midrange warmth and better highs and much better bass detail. I am sure Xin's Supermini would bring out even greater clarity. But an iPod alone will power them just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back