ATH A900 or AKG K271 S?
Mar 19, 2007 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ZackP

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a good closed headphone for home use, and some portable use. I listen to rock, metal, and some acoustic rock. Other suggestions are welcome, needs to be under $200
cool.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 14
Having had both I would recommend A900 for unamped setup and K217S for good source with some serious amp.
In absolute SQ my vote (actually make it three
wink.gif
) would go to K271S.

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't even have to ask me to know my answer.

lol, i think i know it. And andrew, what would be a good amp for use with the K271 that is under $200?

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having had both I would recommend A900 for unamped setup and K217S for good source with some serious amp.
In absolute SQ my vote (actually make it three
wink.gif
) would go to K271S.

At HeadRoom, they state this:
"The K-271S's mild, controlled bass response is probably not full-sounding or punchy enough for most rock music, hip-hop or electronica fans, but might do OK if big bass is not your thing."

Does this attribute go away when amped?

Also, how does the K 271 S compare with the Sennheiser HD25-1 for rock?

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, i think i know it. And andrew, what would be a good amp for use with the K271 that is under $200?

confused.gif
Never had anything in that price range.
I would recommend to start with RSA Hornet ($350) if you need portable or jump to Headamp Gilmore Lite (I guess you might get lucky and find one for $250ish used)
BTW GLite is very serious amp despite its price and size. On of the best or THE best (imo) under $500.

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At HeadRoom, they state this:
"The K-271S's mild, controlled bass response is probably not full-sounding or punchy enough for most rock music, hip-hop or electronica fans, but might do OK if big bass is not your thing."

Does this attribute go away when amped?

Also, how does the K 271 S compare with the Sennheiser HD25-1 for rock?

I've been switching back and forth between HD650, Proline 750 and K271S and never felt bass lacking on AKG. On the other hand if I put on DT880 I can tell right away the lows are thinner. Of course it's just a matter of time before brain adjust and they start sound normal.
BTW mine is Zu recabled and have velour pads. Both of these also enhance bass a little, so stock model might be a little thinner although not to the point of "if bass is not your thing".
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif
Never had anything in that price range.
I would recommend to start with RSA Hornet ($350) if you need portable or jump to Headamp Gilmore Lite (I guess you might get lucky and find one for $250ish used)
BTW GLite is very serious amp despite its price and size. On of the best or THE best (imo) under $500.

What about the headphonia and xenos 1hpc? Those both look good at that price, be aware this amp will be a b-day gift

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 14
Even well amped, I find the K271 is a bit too "refined" for rock. The high frequency and mid-range is quite good, but the bass is lean. And that's driving them with a Singlepower Extreme Platinum, a HeadFive, and/or an Original Master. If you really want to open your wallet, get a K271 and an Original Master for $200 bucks, but the Original is not portable. Overall, I am not sure you are going to get twice the enjoyment from that set up relative to the A900, which doesn't require an amp to sound good and has quite a few fans on this site. I think Saint.panda wrote a comprehensive review of closed cans at the <$300 price point and he seemed to think the A900 was just about as good as a well-amped K271.

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't even have to ask me to know my answer.

Mmmm what are you talking about, you don't even own a pair of K271S!

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by minimus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Saint.panda wrote a comprehensive review of closed cans at the <$300 price point and he seemed to think the A900 was just about as good as a well-amped K271.

Yep, that's review is a must read for everyone, not only for those looking for closed phones. I'd say golden standard of how reviews need to be done.
BTW he covers a lot of others head-fi related things, like amplification, reacabling, how seriously should be taken same fanboyish narrow minded "reviews", psychoacoustic, etc. It's in featured reviews section (15 closed headphones review)

And on A900, K271S differences. I agree that K271 need some serious investment to sound good and I wouldn't consider them a starter cans. On the other hand after I got K271S I completely stopped using A900, just couldn't stand them anymore.

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #13 of 14
unless k271 is the better call, being on head-fi you know an amp is coming, its inevitable. The AKG scales very well with your equipment, however, a900 while it sounds nice unamp, it still sounds the same with an amp. I've had both of them and I sold the A900 after I heard an AKG k271s, it was no contest. Also, isn't there for sale on the forum right now for $100? I would jump on it.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back