ATH-A900 are they right for me?
May 10, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #16 of 26
Being big is what lets the cups go all the way around your ears. I love that part. As far as too heavy, my neck has never gotten tired with the phones on. I use these things for hours without discomfort, except for the occasional earache from all the extended self abuse at high volumes.

May 10, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive owned both, but I feel that the a900s price was not justified. The headphone is generally too big and heavy, it's sound is thin and the included leather sucks. Despite being better than the px100, I still don't recommend it.

A900s are heavy? I thought they were on lighter side - for full sized cans.

May 10, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #18 of 26
well back to the px100 comparison... if they were like px 100s with clean highs and more detail and definition in the bass region with isolation at the same time, I will be a happy camper since I don't expect much from a closed can at these low levels. The denons are supposedly the only cans at near the price level which are supposed to be really good at avoiding to sound closed

May 10, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #19 of 26
How do the AD2000s fare in terms of typical Audio-Technica efficiency? I've heard that they're no good when used unamped, but the great efficiency of Audio-Technica headphones make finding an appropriate amplifier to be rather difficult.

May 10, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #20 of 26
put it this way, the ad2000s sound better to me out of the ipod compared to a meier headfive. sure it has slightly less punch from the ipod but a more liquid midrange. I don't know how it compares to other ATs in efficiency by ear but they all look about the same on paper. The ad2000 is louder and punchier than the grado sr60s for example with the same volume setting on the ipod if you want another frame of reference

May 10, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #21 of 26
the ATH-M50looks nice.
These are considered studio monitors, a flat frequency could sound nice and there 38 ohms.
Might not be as comfortable as the a900 though.

May 10, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #22 of 26
studio monitors arent neccesarily flat in frequency response. they make them so that using them for monitors translate to good sounding recordings in the average stereo systems. This is one of the major reasons why the tonal balance of albums differ so much. If it were me though, I would use flat response monitors.

May 11, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #23 of 26
donunus, why not invest in a dedicated home amp? even gilmore lite will improve AD2Ks quite a bit
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #24 of 26
will it improve them that much even when using ipod as a source? The headfive was supposedly a good amp but failed to deliver the goods

Users who are viewing this thread

Back