ATH-A700 vs. ATH-M50
Sep 21, 2007 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Poor Tom

New Head-Fier
I can't seem to find much info in the way of personal experiences with these two headphones. I am pretty sure I will be buying one of these. Any insights?

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 9
Ive got the A700, and so far I find it enjoyable for all the music I listen to (old pop/rock to heavy metal). It is a pain to carry round though, and doesnt feel like it could stand up to portable use. I also have the M50 on order as a portable solution.

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 9
I do not have any insight on the M50, but I love my A700. It is my choice for here at work. I enjoy it for all types of music. Also can pretty much wear the big cans all day long.

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 9
I don't have the A700's, but I do have the M50's. They sound good. A little tight, but comfortable and the biggest I would go for portable use. I think I have tried the A700's, don't remember how they sounded to much, but I did like the fit of the M50's better
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 9
Hey PoorTom, in my search for headphones I tried both the A700 and M50. IMO, The M50 wins out. Sonically: The A700 noticeably sounds like what you'd expect from a closed can, kind of tin like... The M50's sound is very clean and precise. I found the A700 had a higher amount of bass though, but the M50 has a good amount of bass. It's just more "tight" whereas the A700 just has more bass overall. Also, the M50s have half the impedance level than the A700s (30ish vs 60ish), so will probably be easier to drive.

The M50s clamp a bit harder on your head than the A700s, but provide more isolation. I got more of the "I don't really feel like I'm wearing headphones" affect from the A700s, but... in terms of comfort, the M50s have far superior pleather pads... The A700 ones are very thin, and are known to become stripped quickly. As well, the M50s pleather let my ears breathe more, while my ears became hotter faster in the A700s. I found that the M50s fit me pretty snugly though, and one of my ears was touching the driver for a while, though this was fixed after playing around with their position on my ears. If you have bigger ears, the A700 may be a safer bet.

The soundstage on the A700 was wider/more 3D-like. The M50 definately have a good soundstage, but A700s win slightly in this regard.

The other thing cool about the A700s was the 3D "wing" headband design. It worked pretty well, and they surprisingly stayed on my head. I'm not sure how durable the design is overall with the repeated adjustment of the hinges, but it was comfy. The M50 has the regular headband that you adjust once, and it definately puts more pressure on your head. You can let them stretch out over several books to reduce this though.

I needed breaks with both headphones after listening for 1-2hrs due to sweating (pleather pads, what can you do?).

Hopefully that helps a bit, PM me if you need anymore info!

Apr 4, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 9
i have the M50s too and i like them very much! works well unamped with my ipod classic and amped with my xm4. also had a problem with clamp tightness but i used a folded pillow instead of books to stretch them out, as books could flatten the earpads faster. they do get hot after a while, but like OpticElement said, this can't be helped with the stock leather pad coverings and closed design. haven't heard the A700s personally, but for the price i can definitely recommend the M50s.

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpticElement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey PoorTom, in my search for headphones I tried both the A700 and M50. IMO, The M50 wins out. Sonically: The A700 noticeably sounds like what you'd expect from a closed can, kind of tin like... The M50's sound is very clean and precise. I found the A700 had a higher amount of bass though, but the M50 has a good amount of bass. It's just more "tight" whereas the A700 just has more bass overall. Also, the M50s have half the impedance level than the A700s (30ish vs 60ish), so will probably be easier to drive.

The M50s clamp a bit harder on your head than the A700s, but provide more isolation. I got more of the "I don't really feel like I'm wearing headphones" affect from the A700s, but... in terms of comfort, the M50s have far superior pleather pads... The A700 ones are very thin, and are known to become stripped quickly. As well, the M50s pleather let my ears breathe more, while my ears became hotter faster in the A700s. I found that the M50s fit me pretty snugly though, and one of my ears was touching the driver for a while, though this was fixed after playing around with their position on my ears. If you have bigger ears, the A700 may be a safer bet.

The soundstage on the A700 was wider/more 3D-like. The M50 definately have a good soundstage, but A700s win slightly in this regard.

The other thing cool about the A700s was the 3D "wing" headband design. It worked pretty well, and they surprisingly stayed on my head. I'm not sure how durable the design is overall with the repeated adjustment of the hinges, but it was comfy. The M50 has the regular headband that you adjust once, and it definately puts more pressure on your head. You can let them stretch out over several books to reduce this though.

I needed breaks with both headphones after listening for 1-2hrs due to sweating (pleather pads, what can you do?).

Hopefully that helps a bit, PM me if you need anymore info!

Very helpful comment!
Have you had a chance to try the Denon AH-D1001, just wondering how the denon compares with the ATH?

Thanks

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 9
Hey, Ign.

No I haven't. Unfortunately hard to come by Denons up here in Canada. In the beginning of my closed cans search, I read that the D1001s were supraaural/on the bridge of being circumaural (i.e. only for small ears). The Denons offer little isolation, and I wanted some, so I didn't consider them. They also supposedly leak (though slightly). Lastly, 1001s are recommended usually for portable use, and I was going for something to use at my desk/comp.

Note: All of this I've gathered from forums, not first hand experience.

So, sorry I can't help you out
frown.gif
. Check out these links that will hopefully give you some insight, I couldn't find a direct M50 vs. D1001 comparison though unfortunately, but there is some seperate side-by-side M50 and D1001 opinions:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hel...phones-415952/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/d10...97/index2.html
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ano...-100-a-400947/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/den...w-ipod-391289/

Anyone following this thread please feel free to correct me/tell Ign.

Apr 11, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 9
I know, I live in Canada too, those Denon and Grado's are just impossible to get to... thanks a lot anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back