ATH-A700 v AKG K81DJ
Nov 12, 2006 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bones13

Headphoneus Supremus
Trying to pick a headphone for Christmas for my high school senior.

He likes bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Jimi Hendrix. I usually have to take off the bass boost when I get in his car. He does watch movies on his laptop as well.

He listens to a 5g iPod, or his laptop (IBM headphone out)

He wants a closed headphone (car riding, and eventual dorm room use)

I have boiled down my choices to the K81DJ and the ATH-A700. Obviously the AKG cost nearly half of the AT, but I am concerned with the comfort and wear-ability of the K81DJ. I myself am not a fan of the on-ear type of headphones. I do recognize that the AT cans are big, and not easily transportable (I love my W5000) while being very comfortable for hours at a time.

Looking for impressions from other 18 year olds. The smaller, more "hip" looking AKGs, or the more comfortable, better SQ of the A700. I am assuming that if he is going to be active and such he will be using the iBuds he uses now.

Comments welcome. I probably won't order for a couple of weeks. Want the 30 day return window to include Christmas.

PS I have had a poor acceptance factor for IEMs in my family.

Nov 12, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 7
If he isnt going to use them for portable purposes then A700. K81DJ is too uncomfortable for longer periods and AFAIK A700 sounds better. Havent personally heard it though.

Nov 12, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
If he isnt going to use them for portable purposes then A700. K81DJ is too uncomfortable for longer periods and AFAIK A700 sounds better. Havent personally heard it though.

i have a friend who has the A700's and he doesnt like the sound signature for music at all (he's a grado guy) but he loves them for games and movies.

Nov 12, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Seconded...

I will know for sure if the A700 sounds better sometime this week
biggrin.gif

Quote:

i have a friend who has the A700's and he doesnt like the sound signature for music at all (he's a grado guy) but he loves them for games and movies.

Interesting, can you tell us what he finds lacking or what he doesnt like?

Nov 12, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx

Well, Ax00 serie are known for its gaming and movie abilities.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 7
He is specifically looking for an isolating headphone, and so far has pretty much only listened to earbuds, and a few other sport types headphones we have around the house.

I am mainly wanting not to get Bose QC,or Triports, which is about the only thing getting marketed at him.

Nov 12, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 7
The A700 is the jack-of-all-trades headphone, and since he watches movies and listens to music and what not, it would be better for him. The AKG may get uncomfortable for long periods of usage. Also, the A700 is made with higher quality material, and teenagers like me like tend to be less careful with things.

so, the A700 for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back