ATH-A700 Uncomfortable, looking for replacement.
May 20, 2010 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TrentH

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!

So, i've only been using the ATH-A700's for a few days; but they give me headaches and hurt my ears.

I've tried bending them which helped, but it's my right ear that is giving me the problem. As the pad always seems to be rubbing on it; and it starts to hurt after a bit, around 20+ minutes it becomes very hurtful.

As this is my first "real" pair of headphones I fell in love with them as soon as I heard them. But now i'm sketchy as to buying another pair because they too might be uncomfortable?

I was reading reviews, and considering getting the "ATH-AD700" and also the "HD555".

They will be powered by a cMoy Amp (which I haven't purchased but I will if I go the HD555 route.)

I do mostly gaming(MW2,COD4,CSS) the typical FPS stuff.

I like to listen too, yes screamo/metalcore/deathmetal; Oh and don't say because of my music choice it gives me a headache. :p

I was thinking the AD700's might be more comfortable because they are not "Around The Ear" but the HD555 pads look velvety?

Basically, I want something that will sound atleast as good as the ATH-A700's but more comfortable.

Please guys I need suggestions, as to what i'm suppose to do.

Regards,
TrentH

PS: Sorry I don't mean to sound like i've got, conflicting issues with every headset; But i'm on a budget and new to audio and I guess i'm just skeptical as to purchasing something that wont preform as good as the ones I have now.

But needless to say, I choose Comfort over Quality.

May 20, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 10
The pad is rubbing your ear?  Are they sitting on your ear?  Given their size, I would say that's surprising.  If it's the cloth covering the drivers rubbing your ear, you can see about adjusting the padding.

May 20, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 10
Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

It's the actual pad itself and not the inside cloth.

It seems as it might be putting a tad bit to much pressure on my ears. No matter how I bend/shape them it will always hurt.
Also it may seem that my right ear is bigger than my left because they do "sit around the ear" but my right seems to be touching the inside of the padding?

I plan on trying the HD555's and AD700's just to see which I might like best as nobody is yet to give me any ideas on what to do!

Do you think I should try the HD555's or AD700's first? I believe the HD555's go around the ear and the AD700's just sit on it?

May 20, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 10
Also,

I think over the ear headphones to my head in general are going to hurt like any pressure on the side of my head feels uncomfortable.

To me these feel like sombody is hurting there finger on my head.

I'm going to try the ATH-AD700 first.

May 20, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #8 of 10
If any pressure on the side of your head is causing problems, you may want to consider other forms.  Clip ons, earbuds, IEM's, or light supra-aural.  AFAIK, the A700 is not particularly known for clamping, and is actually one of the most comfortable headphones I've tried.  They're meant to sit around your ears, not on top of them, so if you're having problems with it hitting your ears or something then I can't think of many headphones that will be different.

May 20, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #9 of 10
Yup, if Audio Technica A/AD series headphones give you clamping issues, then there are really not many options left that are much better.  Any looser than that, they probably wouldn't even stay on your head.  You could try supraaural but I would assume it'll give you a similar problem.  I'd say clip on's or IEM's are your only options left.

May 20, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 10
I too am surprised the A700's hurt your ears because of there size???  The AD700's have a very loose fit (almost too loose in my opinion)  They are very comfortable on my head.  The padding is very soft.  I have read that some people complain about itching issues from the pads.  They are my go to headphones for fps.  Excellent for pinpointing footsteps.  There is no where near the bass as your current A700's however........I kind of like this for gaming because the explosions.  Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back