ATH-A500X Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #16 of 26
Are these A500X's as neutral/flat as M40X?? What about SQ and detailing and instrument separation in these two?? Sound stage and Noise suppression of these two??

In what aspects is the A700X better than A500X?? I don't mind going for A700X if they are worth it over M40X for what I want, I'm not an audio professional but I want to hear very fine details of all genres, instrument separation and good noise isolation, clear and natural sounds not over-emphasized

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #17 of 26
  Are these A500X's as neutral/flat as M40X?? What about SQ and detailing and instrument separation in these two?? Sound stage and Noise suppression of these two??

In what aspects is the A700X better than A500X?? I don't mind going for A700X if they are worth it over M40X for what I want, I'm not an audio professional but I want to hear very fine details of all genres, instrument separation and good noise isolation, clear and natural sounds not over-emphasized

I haven't heard the other headphones you are mentioning, but the A500X are definitely not neutral. They have some brightness, some warmth to the mids and a slightly boosted bass. The soundstage is pretty large as well. Really beautiful sounding and great for music enjoyment but yeah, not neutral. From what others have said the M40X will definitely be more neutral. 

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #18 of 26
Does that mean that other A/AD Series 'phones are also not neutral? M40X is really very flat, the difference between an original playback of a song and the one recorded from M40X's playback is almost NIL, may be with a good amp I could tell the difference but with only my phone I could spot no difference in sound which means that the M40X do not modify or 'color' the sound in any respect

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #19 of 26
Okay I got it, they have better soundstage, instrument separation and probably better detailing and clarity also owing to their bit more openness.

I want my 'phones to be able to recreate all genres of music very beautifully, they must not sound like they are only better at rock or hip hop etc. They may have their strengths but I like balanced sound and good sound reproduction so that I can hear all that the musicians and singers et al wanted us to hear.

A900X isn't worth I guess, too pricey and are a bit on bassy side so I'm torn between A500X, A700X and M40X, I don't mind spending a bit extra on 700X if they are more balanced and better, someone said that A500X are better than M50X in every aspect, does it mean they have more bass than M50X?

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #20 of 26
  Oh I remember a while a go when you posted Sacrifice13 asking if someone has ATH.A500X!
I am so glad that you like them because I love mine. They are are really a nice pair of headphones and I agree with everything you wrote about them.

Your point that they beat ATH-M50 is very good. I own M50 and A500X and have to say that the A500X do everything better than the M50. And in my country you can have them for the same money as ATH-M50.

So they are more clear & detailed and have more instrument timbre than the M50?

Only difference I saw between A500X and A700X was impedance, A500X has higher impedance. Does that mean if driven by amp A500X will be much clearer and detailed than A700X? That makes A500X better buy, same price as M40X

Oct 5, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #22 of 26
Got A500X and had a chance to briefly try M40x recently. M40x has much more bass (I can say it's boosted) but slightly recessed mids compared to A500X. As for highs they sound pretty similiar but M40x's seems more upfront than A500X. Soundstage is wider on A500X. I'd say M40x is better for modern music and A500X better for vocals and strings.

(I'm pretty new on this hobby so pardon the noobish comparison 
biggrin.gif
 )

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #23 of 26
I pulled the plug and ordered the M40X on Friday evening from flipkart.com and got them delivered by Sunday evening. They sound incredibly natural, detailed and clear, though I wanted a bit more on soundstage & detail (lack of soundstage feels more, detail is plenty though more is always better) and just a bit better/tighter fit .

Quote:
  Got A500X and had a chance to briefly try M40x recently. M40x has much more bass (I can say it's boosted) but slightly recessed mids compared to A500X. As for highs they sound pretty similiar but M40x's seems more upfront than A500X. Soundstage is wider on A500X. I'd say M40x is better for modern music and A500X better for vocals and strings.

(I'm pretty new on this hobby so pardon the noobish comparison 
biggrin.gif
 )

I agree with you, even I feel it has a boosted bass. May be the HM5 will be more neutral and flat for our ears. Or may be our ears themselves have a bass boost 
tongue.gif
 since SonicSense's recorded Samples from M40X prove that it doesn't modify the audio even to the slightest.

Flipkart.com has a 30-day return policy, if someone still says or convinces me that A500X are better than I may return these and get the A500X instead. I got M40X for Rs. 7199 while A500X are available for Rs. 6959!

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #24 of 26
  I agree with you, even I feel it has a boosted bass. May be the HM5 will be more neutral and flat for our ears. Or may be our ears themselves have a bass boost 
tongue.gif
 since SonicSense's recorded Samples from M40X prove that it doesn't modify the audio even to the slightest.

Flipkart.com has a 30-day return policy, if someone still says or convinces me that A500X are better than I may return these and get the A500X instead. I got M40X for Rs. 7199 while A500X are available for Rs. 6959!

If you want a tighter fit, A500X might not satisfy you. AT Art/Air series are known for their loose, hit-or-miss fit. Especially you said M40x isn't tight enough...

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #25 of 26
  If you want a tighter fit, A500X might not satisfy you. AT Art/Air series are known for their loose, hit-or-miss fit. Especially you said M40x isn't tight enough...

It would have been so good if they had A500X like headphone with a traditional headband 
smily_headphones1.gif
. I saw their earsuit series but they are not available in Indian websites/stores, I may well order from Amazon or eBay but they are ridiculously pricey.

What pull the plug on the M40X was Lance Gross' video review on his YouTube Channel. He didn't say something I didn't about them, but the way he said convinced me. But again same explanations may apply to the A500X's as well. I still have around 16 days left to return them if I (or someone else) change my mind 
biggrin.gif

I'm just amazed at the fact that though the M40X are flat, the bass sounds really great. I feel the vibrations (15Hz lowest may be reason, A500X's 5Hz could have been more full giving more feel).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back