ATH-A500s have arrived - Opinions from a newbie :)
Mar 8, 2004 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

SouthPaW1227

100+ Head-Fier
Well I've been a freak for audio all of my life, and have been a musician since I was about 11, and have always loved hearing the best stuff when it came to speakers. I saved up cash from working on a farm when I was younger to get a true 5.1 system setup in my room & remember watching T2 on DVD in true surround sound and being blown away...been hooked on audio since that day.

Well I'm a single child, thus I've always had the ability to blast my simply amazing Klipsch's in my room whenever I wanted with whatever music I wanted...then came college. And a roommate. Of course he doesn't wanna hear my music while trying to study, but I *have* to have music while working, so I found this place! Ahh another place for me to spend every dime I make (curse this addiction!)
smily_headphones1.gif

So after researching, I just wanted to get a decent low cost pair of cans to enjoy so I wouldn't have to use external speakers & disturb others...I settled on the ATH-A500s & ordered a pair from AudioCubes. After anxiously waiting 4 days, they finally shipped from Japan & arrived Friday...of course my Spring break started Thursday, argh, so today I drove 2 hours BACK to the university to pick them up, w00t! While waiting for them, I couldn't resist a decent amp to go with them, so I ordered one from a custom amp maker here in the U.S., I. Castano, and it arrived a few days back. It's a mid-level PIMETA (not quite maxed), but I love it. Temporarily I've got my iPod 40GB as my source w/ a Monster mini-to-RCA into the PIMETA & then my ATH-A500s plugged into the Neutrik locking 1/4" jack. As of tomorrow I'll have a Pioneer DV-563A SACD/DVD-A player that I'll use as my primary source. I've got 5 SACD's & 1 DVD-A on order that I'll be able to test & give opinions on next week.

So, into my newbie opinions...granted, the only other "hi-fi" phones I've listened to are a pair of Senn. HD280, but they were unamplified. But I've noticed a lot of newcomers to this are wanting opinions of the "relatively" cheap A500s, and so I wanted to post for those guys. This isn't really a comparison, it's just some words of wisdom of whether spending your $99 on these phones are worth it or not.

Straight out of the box I listened to Skillet's "Collide" album (in 320k MP3) and was dissapointed...got to checking, and realized I had the iPod EQ set to "Rock" b/c of the lackluster phones I was using on it last...turned the EQ off so everything was flat, and WOW! Incredible clarity & depth! Long story short, these cans don't need an EQ...send them some good signal & they'll impress. This album is a "hard rock/metal" album, so there's plenty of low-mids from the Drop D crunching distortion riffs, and the A500s performed amazingly...no distorting whatsoever even with double bass drums & riffs happening simultaneously. These phones, contrary to some things I'd previously heard, aren't too "bass-heavy" at all...I love bass...I have 4 12"s in my Explorer kind of "love bass", but even thinking in a "normal" perspective, there's not too much bass, but as a bass-head, there's plenty there to please my ears. And beyond bass prescence, there's incredible bass DETAIL! Play something with bass slides, runs, etc. and you'll hear every note...in a Skillet song I clearly heard a terrible misfret I had never heard before at all...it was quite funny to hear things in music I'd never heard before. No sloppy bass in these phones...even in demanding conditions they've proven clear.

Mids - these are HIGHLY important to me because I listen to rock-oriented music 80% of the time, and low driving riffs are my thing. No lack of drive in the A500s. The mids are consistently clean & are always spot on. Driving songs are driven perfectly, and the low-mids flow perfectly with the bass notes.

Highs - Ahh, how beautiful. Vocals are absolutely redefined...I was amazed to hear singers sing, you can hear when they almost run out of breath and the smallest quiver in holding a high note. Lead lines are perfectly meshed with the driving riffs and synths are clear as a bell. They aren't peircing at all...I have not been bothered a single time by highs being too loud or too "in my face". Also, positioning is amazing on these!!! About 5 times now I've found myself turning around suddenly to see who "is coming in my room" but it was just the music sweeping in the phones! Crazy!

Comfort - This isn't even a question. Felt beautiful upon putting them on, fits on the ears with uncanny precision, and the fact that weigh very little is a definite benefit. They feel sturdy, but after ~5 mins. of listening, you'll forget they're on your head; they aren't burdensome in weight nor do they "clamp" your head/ears. Much more comfortable than the Senns. by far.

Overall, even though these headphones have only seen ~4 hours of use and certainly aren't broke in yet, I am absolutely THRILLED with them. Worth $99? In every way possible, YES! Granted, the amp helps quite a bit, adds a lot of depth and clarity (escp. in the mids/lows where power shows it effect), but even un-amped I can't recommend these cans enough for one looking to get into the hi-fi league of headphones without going totally broke. But believe me, these cans are like a gateway drug, I already want to try more & more! If you're looking for any negative comments, honestly, there really aren't any. The only one I can think of is that they probably aren't on the same level as the ATH-"W" series or the Sony CD3000s, but then again, they're a lot cheaper and aren't expected to be like those. For $99, these are a BARGAIN! I don't have a single complaint about these phones, they suit my listening perfectly.

I'll add comments once my SACD/DVD-A player arrives and my SACD/DVD-A discs arrives. Any questions from any ppl looking to get these phones? I'll be glad to answer! Below are a few pics of my phones, PIMETA, and my temporary "at home" setup while on Spring Break...snagged a banana tree at Wal-Mart for ~$5 to hang the phones on, works like a charm and looks good to boot!
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Impressions with new source: Pioneer DV-563A

One word: WHOA!!
eek.gif
Now I fully understand how "Oh man, it can't get any better than this" can quickly turn into "Whoa, it just got even better..." I snagged this source for $140 from Crutchfield after reading great things & wanting a SACD & DVD-A all-in-one unit. I could not be more impressed...the difference between this and my iPod's headphone out is night & day. Everything I noted earlier is still exactly true, except with this source all the positives are amplified 10 fold (at least). The trueness & detail of the music are even more "in your face" and you just can't miss a single note. This unit is quite light, very easy to setup, has a ton of outputs, and looks great. So far I've only been able to sample redbook (normal CDs) CDs as my SACDs & DVD-As are on their way from Amazon. Comparing Lostprophets - "Start Something" album in 320k MP3 via the iPod & now out of this source is incredible...$140 *VERY* well spent, I can't wait to see what it'll do w/ SACDs and DVD-As. Nothing has changes about the phones except they've grown more impressive with a more impressive source, escp. in the clarity of highs (cymbals ring instead of mud) and the depth of the lows (bass rumbles more now, noticeably more). Below are a few pics of the new temp. setup as well while I'm here on Spring Break:

PioneerHeadphoneSetup1.jpg

PioneerHeadphoneSetup2.jpg

site1056.jpg

site1057.jpg

site1060.jpg

site1061.jpg

Mar 8, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 25
your journey has just begun, grashopper.

I can't wait to hear your musings after you take all your gear to your first headphone Meet or mini-meet.

I'm excited that you are excited. I wish that your set up gives you much pleasure.

Come back to this thread in a year. It will be interesting to see your views then.

Congradulations on your purchase. Head-Fi has produced another satisfied customer.

now hide the credit card.

Mar 9, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 25
Totally...I've got all their CD's, HYILYS is amazing as well. You gonna see them on the "See Spot Rock" tour? I may if I can get away from school long enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 25
Nice rig! What Klipsch set do you have?

Mar 9, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 25
The good ole Klipsch ProMedia 4.1s...when they came out like 3-4 years ago, they were reviewed as the best computer speakers ever, and I paid like $300 for them...used them almost daily ever since, easily the best computer upgrade I've ever made. They aren't the greatest thing money can buy, but for a high-school budget they rock. I still enjoy them, they have astounding quality (escp. the bass!!) for such a relatively cheap set.

Mar 9, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 25
I see that your using the headphone out on the ipod, rather than the line out on the ipod dock. I dont have an ipod dock, (15gb), but would you get better sound from the line out, to the amp, to the headphones vs, amping the headphone out sound?

I. Castano PIMETA = $150..
wink.gif
(edit)

I'm interested in picking one up, along with a nice SACD/CD player.

Anyone have any info on the sound quality w/ the line out vs. headphone out amped?

Mar 9, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 25
From what I've read/heard, the Line Out provides no benefits over the headphone out...I think the Line Out is just a re-routed headphone out to clean up the wire mess so you don't have a wire sticking up out of the top.

I paid $150 shipped for mine, however I added $10 for him to "hurry mine up", heh, as I wanted to have the entire system before powering up the phones...he makes awesome PIMETA's, I can PM you his email if you're interested.

As for the SACD player...I just picked up a Pioneer DV-563A which actually plays SACDs AND DVD-As! Got it from Crutchfield w/ their great service & warranty for $140 shipped...find out how here: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=44496

Mine's arriving tomorrow & I can't wait to try it out...it's been talked about as the best all-in-one source for under $200...for both SACD & DVD-A playability, it's a steal.

Mar 9, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 25
Sounds like you've got quite the collecetion starting there!

Looks cool!

Can you offer me any opinion on how much the sound changes, amped, vs. unamped with the A500s on the iPOD?

( I need an excuse to buy an amp )

Edit: I would also like to know what the difference is between the maxed out and mid level PIMETA. If I were to order a mid level, could I buy some chips and components later and max it out?

Mar 9, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #11 of 25
The amp makes a world of difference, and this is even w/ the A500's...I'm sure on your A900's you'd hear even more difference. Just in a single song sample amped vs. unamped, I heard dramatically more tiny details (escp. in the highs) that I didn't even heard unamped. And even more important, the mids/lows have so much more "power" and "body" to them amped...it becomes more of a feeling instead of just a sound.

And as far as the PIMETA's go...the one I got is basically as high-end as it gets minus like silver wiring and a few relaltively rare & expensive caps and items. If you were looking to go even higher than the PIMETA, I'd suggest moving up to a PPA, which is about the same look & size, but has a different board to build upon and usually involved more expensive (and better sounding) components.

Mar 9, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
YES!!...NorVa March 18th!!...I can't wait.

You've gotta be kidding me...that's the exact show I'm trying to go to! Where are you located? It'll be a 5 hour drive for me if I can manage it...I keep debating on buying tix or waiting 'til the night of the show...

Mar 9, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by SouthPaW1227
The amp makes a world of difference, and this is even w/ the A500's...I'm sure on your A900's you'd hear even more difference. Just in a single song sample amped vs. unamped, I heard dramatically more tiny details (escp. in the highs) that I didn't even heard unamped. And even more important, the mids/lows have so much more "power" and "body" to them amped...it becomes more of a feeling instead of just a sound.

And as far as the PIMETA's go...the one I got is basically as high-end as it gets minus like silver wiring and a few relaltively rare & expensive caps and items. If you were looking to go even higher than the PIMETA, I'd suggest moving up to a PPA, which is about the same look & size, but has a different board to build upon and usually involved more expensive (and better sounding) components.

Sounds cool, how do I contact I. Castano?

Also, keep us posted on how your new source sounds.. I might have to pick one of thoes up too.

Enjoy your A500's

Mar 9, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #14 of 25
Sentcha a PM, let me know if it doesn't get through...

And I'll definitely update the post once my Pioneer arrives and my SACDs & DVD-As arrive
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by SouthPaW1227
From what I've read/heard, the Line Out provides no benefits over the headphone out...I think the Line Out is just a re-routed headphone out to clean up the wire mess so you don't have a wire sticking up out of the top.

Line out makes a pretty significant difference in the sound quality. Reason being, the line-out is a pure signal coming out from the iPod without any amp in place. All headphone outs has some sort of an "amp" circuitry behind them to drive the headphones, even though this amp is nowhere near the quality of an external headphone amp, without it the headphone out just wouldn't function.

The line-out of the iPod by-passes this completely, similiar to RCA outputs you would get from the back of any other conventional player. So it allows a pure signal to be passed through, no amp is processing the sound. It allows your amp to perform whatever it needs with a pure signal, rather than an already processed signal.

You should definitely try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back