ATH-A500 vocal problem
May 2, 2010 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

yooss

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I'm nothing more than a newbie high school student from Korea, and I bought an ATH-A500 last month.

Before the burn in I had a feeling that I didn't waste the money. A friend of mine owned a ATH-PRO500, and I liked that sound. A500 was WAY different from that, but it was still nice.

The real problem started just last week, when I was starting to notice a VERY strong emphasis on particular ....dunno how it's called.... consonant? sound? Sorry for my bad English; never been to an English speaking country
regular_smile .gif
. What I want to say in Korean is 치찰음 and the dictionary says it's sibilant sound.

Well, a discription would be faster to understand
tongue_smile.gif

I mostly listen to rock, and when I hear any /ts/, /s/, or even /t/ sound it is emphasized too much, and I feel my eardrums are being cut with a knife or something. For example, in Time is Running out by Muse, it goes like "Our TSime is running out, our TSime is running out......" Every music has at least one part that has that sound, and it freaks me out. I started to prefer my UHP606 over this over-100-bucks headphone.

As I mentioned, I am nothing more than a typical high school student with a relatively good English for a non-native speaker, and my ears are not golden. Still, I want a solution for this problem. Anyone has the same problem? I think I've heard that the A700s had this problem too, I'm not sure. Currently using a Cowon S9

May 2, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 3
That's sibilance. I had a pair and I suggest putting blue tac and polyfil inside the cups to reduce it a bit. It could also be the song being mastered poorly.

May 6, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
That's sibilance. I had a pair and I suggest putting blue tac and polyfil inside the cups to reduce it a bit. It could also be the song being mastered poorly.

Thank you very much! It really helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back