ATH-A500 Upgrade
Nov 23, 2009 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Vinny77

100+ Head-Fier
I have had the ATH-A500 from Audio Technica March 2005 and they have been great and have held up fine. Though now after nearly 5 years of use they are stating to fall apart and all the padding is dead on them,

The two major complaints I have had over the last 5 years are as follows

1) The riser head pads are horrible and force me to wash my hair numerous times a day. The compress my hair down and I look ridiculous, which forces me to take a shower every time I leave the house after I wear them or else I have two big indentations on my head. Also if you wear them long enough you also get indentations from the ear pads in the hair.

2)The cable continually winds and gets tangled in itself, forcing me to always have to unwind it, likely have to do this 3-4x a day or most of the cable is wound up in itself.

Im looking for something better which does not have these problems but has similar sound quality or better sound quality for a similar price or slightly more expensive prices, respectively.

Main use will be for my Computer out of a Audigy 2 ZS which i feel is fine.

Nov 23, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #2 of 9
1) Not much you can do about that. You can wear a hat, or you can play with your hair. At best, I've found you can get a little peak. On the sides, just tuck your hair behind your ears. Unless you want your hair going out sideways.

2) Never had a problem. Cloth cables don't like to get wound up, assuming the A500 also has a cloth cable.

Take a look at the M50.

Dec 16, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 9
Well I upgraded the pads and it works till yesterday the 15th of December and the right side of my A500's died. I opened them up to see if I could fix them, but saw no cut or broken wires. So are there any other recommendation>?

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 9
I ended up going with the A700's, and am pretty happy so far. Compared to my brother A900 via a Ibasso D2 Boa on an Ipod running rockbox with lossless media. I could say that the A900 was clearly better, and the A700 were slightly better than the A500. Though since the A500 were broken, I really couldn't compare fully.

ayJABl.jpg

0aVJAl.jpg

I dont like the sparkles, but I can deal with it.

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 9
wow zip ties!

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do that with every pair of headphones I own.

Why, just to keep it extra sturdy and strong where the phone wire goes in?? Is that why?

At least use Black Zip Ties. lol no jk jk. do what you want. The phones are so large they look goofy anyways. My AD500's do at least

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why, just to keep it extra sturdy and strong where the phone wire goes in?? Is that why?

At least use Black Zip Ties. lol no jk jk. do what you want. The phones are so large they look goofy anyways. My AD500's do at least

No to stop the cable from

A) Being pulled out
B)The cable being turned around, tangling and ripping the wires inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back