ATH A500 or A900?
Dec 3, 2003 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sporky

Head-Fier
Okay, I think I've pretty much narrowed my search for new closed cans (to replace my HD 280) to something in the Audio Technica "A" series. In particular I'm considering either the A500 or A900 (since nobody seems to know what the A700 sounds like).

I'll be using them in a college environment (somewhat noisy), straight from my computer for mp3 listening. I might get a real Hi-Fi audio rig someday, but for now that's the best I can do. My musical tastes are quite varying, and range from techno to blues. Although I enjoy the sound from my HD 280, I think I'd like something a little warmer and with stronger bass. My main reason for retiring them is comfort; it's gotten to the point that I can't stand wearing them anymore.

I've heard plenty of good things about both AT's, but am not sure if the A900 is really worth twice as much money as the A500 (a bit of a financial stretch for me). From what I can gather, the A500 has a warmer sound (less "analytical") and is slightly lighter than the A900. If anyone has experience with both, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any other suggestions (perhaps Beyer, Ultrasone, or AKG) in the $100-200 price range would also be helpful.

Thanks! (last time I ask for help, I swear)

Dec 3, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 7
The HFI-650 is definitely an improvement on the HD280 and is cheaper than the A900. It's also more portable. I'm not wholly sure if the 650 is better than the A900 or not because it's one of the few phones I haven't owned, but only listened to... But the Ultrasone is more versatile for portable use.

The A900 is one of the best unamped hi-fi phones that I've had. It's comfortable, works out of practically anything and sounds pretty good out of practically anything. It's not very portable in that it won't stand up to a lot of abuse but it is usable in a travelling context (i.e. it isolates sufficiently). In terms of amped performance there are a number of phones which would beat it for the same price or less... The AKG K271 being one.

Dec 3, 2003 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 7
I've never heard the A900, but I do have the A500. Some people have said that the bass on the A500 is more bloated, but I dunno, it's definetely a lot of it. The A500s really show bass-guitar notes really well, you actually feel stuff if you turn it up high enough, not sure if you get that sensation with the A900s.

I guess it just comes down to how much you wanna spend...I may get some eventually, or A700s...since nobody's got them.

Dec 3, 2003 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

The HFI-650 is definitely an improvement on the HD280 and is cheaper than the A900.

Do they feel similar to the HD280 though? It appears that they share the same head band, although the padding on the top is different.

Also, does anyone know where I could audition some AT phones? I go to school in Worcester, MA, so I might be able to take a trip to Boston if necessary.

Dec 4, 2003 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 7
Unless you know someone who has them I'm pretty sure the only place u could audition them would be Japan....not exactly a trip I'd make so I could listen to some headphones...

Dec 4, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 7
About the A900 vs the HFI-650 Trackmaster I'd advise you to go for the A900s. To my ears the A900s come off as a more refined version of the HD280s with greater clarity, more present bass and slightly less strident highs. They still keep the analytical timbre of the HD280s as well--no one could ever call the sound from them "warm." In comparision the Trackmaster comes off as even more analytical with slighly better in detail but they are extremely weak in the bass, sound too transparent (likely because of their weak bass) and simbalent in the highs. The A900s just come off as a more balanced an enjoyable phone. The Trackmasters do indeed share the same headband as the HD280s but their cups are smaller, more comfortable and form a better seal around the ear. I think the Trackmasters isolate at least as well as the HD280s, perhaps slightly better. But for overall sound quality I'd go for the A900s.

I must say though, that I do like the CD1700s more than the A900s. The CD1700s (with the foam removal mod) have much better bass than the A900s (the A900s can be a little thin in the bass) and have a more upfront sound (it seems like you're closer to the musicans on the stage). The CD1700s (even with the foam removal mod) are slightly less detailed and darker sounding than the A900s but sound better to my ears on most recordings because they have more fleshed-out bass, slightly higher treble extension and overall produce a sound which is more alive, interesting and dynamic to my ears. If I had to cateogorize them I'd say the A900s are moreso analyzers while the Cd1700s are moreso groovilizers--however these labels pigeonhole both of these phones--they are both good at grooving and analyzing only each is a little better than the other in one category.

The CD1700s go for about $120 used--not a bad deal--and you can still pick them up new from askdirect.co.uk although it will cost you a lot in shipping and other fees if you don't live in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back