ATH-900 vs. Beyerdynamic DT770/80. Which ones is right for me?
Jan 18, 2008 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

the rev

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, I've been reading around and doing google searches and trying to figure out whats right for me.

The more I see the ATH-900's the more I love them. But, If I got them, apparently I would have to invest in a headphone amp to go along with them.

What I listen to : Not sure what to call it really, bands like
Justice/Mstrkfrt/daft punk/ratatat/godspeed! you black emperor/apex twin/her space holiday/ - basically eletronic/ambient/progressive rock.

Are these the right headphones for me? I'm not worried about an investment,
because with the amp I'll need a line out cable or dock too, that'll run me 50-100$ . Which cable should I get for my ipod as well? I wanna do this right!

Anything AKG rivals these cans? Thanks!

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by odymmij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A900s/AD900s don't NEED amps but they would sound better with them.

thing is i will be playing like this
ipod>rockbox(FLAC)>line out cable [or dock, whatever its called]>amp? [haven't picked one out] > A900's

So straight from my ipod, won't it need an amp to use them headphones at their best capabilities?

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by the rev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thing is i will be playing like this
ipod>rockbox(FLAC)>line out cable [or dock, whatever its called]>amp? [haven't picked one out] > A900's

So straight from my ipod, won't it need an amp to use them headphones at their best capabilities?

If you want to use the LOD on your iPod then you will need an amp yes. You can use the 900's straight out the headphone jack on the iPod though.

An amp will probably improve them.

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to use the LOD on your iPod then you will need an amp yes. You can use the 900's straight out the headphone jack on the iPod though.

An amp will probably improve them.

Now, I'm completly new to this so bare with me, LOD's are the little cables that plug into the bottom line out, and turn into the regular 3.5mm so that they can plug straight into an amp, right?

I wish I would have known the A900's would work fine with the ipod, I ordered some ATH-SJ5's because I thought the A900's would not get the power needed to pack a punch that the ATH-SJ5's right out the box to a stock ipod would.

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 16
Most of the audio technicas dont need an amp. Have you looked into the beyerdynamic dt770/880/990? Maybe some denon's?

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the audio technicas dont need an amp. Have you looked into the beyerdynamic dt770/880/990? Maybe some denon's?

No I haven't, would they be better for my music?
Would they need an amp for sure?
[can you provide links to stores with the best price?]
My limit for spending money is around 300$ on the cans,
I expect to pay 200-300$ on the amp, and 100-200$ on the cable.
I just need a limit to stop my spending hahaha.

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 16
Hold on there! You can get a decent line out cable made by one of the members here for around 30-40 dollars. Ad for an amp, you can get a portable one or a home amp, but with an ipod portable is the way to go. Take a look here for a used Hornet "m" by RSA audio. Really nice portable. Ebay has great deals on the dt770; around 150 plus shipping. Audiocubes has the denon d2000 for 280, and you can always find good deals on the 880/990 here in the FS forum.

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Hold on there! You can get a decent line out cable made by one of the members here for around 30-40 dollars. Ad for an amp, you can get a portable one or a home amp, but with an ipod portable is the way to go. Take a look here for a used Hornet "m" by RSA audio. Really nice portable. Ebay has great deals on the dt770; around 150 plus shipping. Audiocubes has the denon d2000 for 280, and you can always find good deals on the 880/990 here in the FS forum.

but why would the Beyerdynamic DT770/80 PRO be better for me then the ATH's?

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #11 of 16
Sound wise, the a900 have very neutral bass, so if you want anything down there, you might not like them Second, the pads are really cheap pleather, and flake apart after several months of use. Lastly, the upper-mids on the a900 have this wierd honky-nasaly sound to them. Some people like that, others so not. I personally like my mids slightly recessed, like the 770's.

Jan 18, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Sound wise, the a900 have very neutral bass, so if you want anything down there, you might not like them Second, the pads are really cheap pleather, and flake apart after several months of use. Lastly, the upper-mids on the a900 have this wierd honky-nasaly sound to them. Some people like that, others so not. I personally like my mids slightly recessed, like the 770's.

anyone else suggest anything besides the ath-900s?
because most people have been telling me the a900's are win.

i was hoping to spend 400$-500$ on the headphones and amp and be done with it
but if this is the way to go. thanks!

Jan 18, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #13 of 16
Used Ray Samuels Audio Hornet "m": 280-300
S^2 audio LOD - 40
Beyer Dt770 - 160

? Just a suggestion. Sometimes you can get the amp for less.

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #14 of 16
It's funny that I just happen to be listening to Ratatat as I was looking at your post (loud pipes from the classics album). I can't get over how awesome that genre of music (ratatat, dj shadow, daft punk, justice) sounds on my portable setup - ibasso d1 > denon d2000. You probably won't need a amp+DAC combo like the ibasso but it's pretty nice to be able to USB it to a laptop or a PC and enjoy an even better sound at home/office/library.

Its also funny how I just suggested them to another guy on this forum, I feel like a fanboy raving about his fotm...

I payed 250 for the used ibasso (opamps were already rolled to OPA2111 AD8397 AD8656) and 225 for the used denons. If you have more patience than me, I have very little, then you should be able to find both cheaper.

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 16
Oh and good taste in music by the way, especially god speed and justice. Iunno about the prog rock though... but hey, to each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back