ATH-700 leaking like crazy
Nov 8, 2007 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ashxcore

Head-Fier
I just got my Audio Technica ATH-A700s in the mail today. I've only listened to them for about an hour now, and they sound great from out of the box, but the problem is how much sound they're leaking!

I thought I had stepped into some twilight zone because I was always under the impression that the sound leaked from closed cans would be minimal.

They are unamped and are being driven by my Creative Zen Vision:W. In order to hear them best, I have to crank my volume all the way to 23 (out of 25), whereas with my Super.Fi 3s only needed to be turned between 14-16. I realize that the much higher impedance would make them harder to drive, but I do not know why I can hear them almost as well with them off my head as I can with them on!

This will not do at all!

Nov 8, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 14
sell them
biggrin.gif

get DT770

Nov 9, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 14
No, no, no. I'm worried about how much they're leaking when they ARE on my head. Haha. I need privacy.

I recorded myself listening to music with them on and I could definitely hear the music coming out of them. I wasn't always able to hear words, but there was too much leakage for my liking.

Nov 9, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nautilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do realize that the noise leaking would normally be blocked by your skull right?

Yes, I had a major brain lapse for a bit.
redface.gif

How much leakage should I expect from these cans?
I realize that question is a little relative, but any sort of answer is good.

Nov 9, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by physh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try putting the headphones around your leg, that shoud simulate being around your head.

My god, how could something as simple as that be so ingenious?? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back