Ath 50 vs sennheiser momentum on ear
Jan 22, 2014 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kartoonz

New Head-Fier
Hi friends I currently use Sony xb90ex and am happy with it but wanted to upgrade to audiophile headphones. I want to move away from bass but not completely since my xb90 would do the job. I listen to psy/Goa, commercial trance, dubstep and some house.
Pls suggest amongst ath 50, ath 30 and momentum. I know that ath 30 is not in the above league, but in case it does the job for me then I won't spend a ton for others. I would like goof soundstage and nice mids. Pls no other suggestions since I don't have much choices here in India. Thanks

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 15
The Momentum's definitely sound better.

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 15
Thanks...is there a difference between on the ear and over the ear momentum's?

It's personal preference really haha. I think the over-ears are definitely a lot more comfortable, and if I'm not mistaken sound better because they cover your whole ear.

What do you want these headphones for?

Pure listening pleasure or are you more of the producer/engineer type?

Jan 22, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 15
I've heard both the ATH M50, and Momentum On Ear, and Over Ear. The choice depends on what kind of music you'll be listening to. The Momentum (Over Ear) definitely would make you the happiest if you're willing to pay the extra cash. They sound great with pretty much any genre, and work well with no amplification, which was how they were intended to be used. The M50s are really great for the price, but are very flat, and not as "fun" as some would like. The MOE is more consumer friendly with sound, and carries ALOT of bass, definitely "fun" if you're into that sound signature.

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #11 of 15
Can't go wrong with either. The Sennheiser look much better. If you want to save money, go with the M50 but otherwise, Momentum.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #12 of 15
Hello,

If you want something more price friendly and folds up for portable use, go for the ATH-M50. If you don't mind the on-ear feeling, go for the Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear. If you are fine with very small little cups touching your ears, go for the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear. In terms of sound signature, both the SMOE and ATH-M50 share similar sound signature but in terms of overall SQ, I'll vote for SMOE. The Sennheiser Momentum on the other hand, sound less agressive than SMOE, better timbre, and better build quality. Don't get me wrong though, all the three mentioned headphones offer great to excellent build quality but in terms of portability, ATH-M50 wins.

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #13 of 15
Hello,

If you want something more price friendly and folds up for portable use, go for the ATH-M50. If you don't mind the on-ear feeling, go for the Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear. If you are fine with very small little cups touching your ears, go for the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear. In terms of sound signature, both the SMOE and ATH-M50 share similar sound signature but in terms of overall SQ, I'll vote for SMOE. The Sennheiser Momentum on the other hand, sound less agressive than SMOE, better timbre, and better build quality. Don't get me wrong though, all the three mentioned headphones offer great to excellent build quality but in terms of portability, ATH-M50 wins.

Hope it helps
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

thank you... the mixed suggestions are creating a stir in my head... :) I would not use an amp as of now.. so i guess i will go for the ath 50's

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 15
I haven't heard the ath 50's, but I can confirm that momentum over ear is definitely worth the price difference compared to on-ears. On-ears are more bass-heavy, but over-ears still have a nice bass with better wearing comfort and nicer SQ. Moments also have a nice carrying case, which helps with portability if you don't want to wear the hp's all the time. As a bonus, momentums look absolutely gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back