ATC SCM7 or SCM12. Which do I buy?
Nov 23, 2003 at 2:39 PM Post #16 of 21
OK.
Thanks once again Kuma!
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2003 at 3:04 PM Post #17 of 21
Oh, just one more thing.
Knowing of ATC's power requirements & their design philosophy(an attempt to approximate a live event), I think they want to play somewhat loud.
How are they with low level listening?
Or must they always play at generous volumes to really perform?

Nov 25, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by eyeteeth
Knowing of ATC's power requirements & their design philosophy(an attempt to approximate a live event), I think they want to play somewhat loud.
How are they with low level listening?
Or must they always play at generous volumes to really perform?

For low level listening, SCM12 with SL drivers fair better than SCM7 is my guess.

There are only few standmounts that can hold up well at low and high listening level. And I haven't came acrossed one under 2k range.

ATC speakers in general shine when a certain volume is maintained.

Going back to priority thing, what is your normal listening level? Do you do lots of low level lisetening? What is your room size? Which amp are you intending to use?
System dynamic can be enhanced ( and ATC benefits from this greatly ) by what's in front of them. i.e. if rest of your electronics are flat and lifeless, ATC will let you know dutifully.

I highly recommend you visit a local hi-fi dealer and listen to few speakers. Who knows you might find something you really like.

As I said before, ATC aren't for everyone. But they are, for me, one of the few handful that I would live with.
wink.gif

good luck and have fun!

Nov 25, 2003 at 12:51 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
For low level listening, SCM12 with SL drivers fair better than SCM7 is my guess.
ATC speakers in general shine when a certain volume is maintained.

No I don't do too much low level listening, I was just curious about performance when I did. Small room & all future electronics will be selected for their ability to make the ATC's sing, with emphasis on resolution & dynamics(Wyetech,Simaudio,etc?).

Thanks Kuma, your harassment is over,(for now
wink.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back