AT Woody pad comfort?
Jul 9, 2006 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mateo05

100+ Head-Fier
From what I can tell in pictures, it looks like the pads on the AT woodies (L3000, W5000 in particular) sit supraaurally instead of circumaurally- the pads sit on top of the ears instead of sealing around them. I'm wondering if this is true, and if so, how it affects the comfort of the headphones for you. I'm a big fan of how the Sennheiser pads fit around your ear, and I'm not sure if the AT pads would bother me...

Jul 9, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 7
They're sort of semi circumaural and semi supraaural, the pressure is split pretty much evenly between your ears and your head. The pads themselves (at least with the W5000) are really comfortable and nice, but they bring your pinna very close to the drivers. I get sore ears from having my pinna jammed into the metal driver housing. In spite of this, the pads seal around the ear very well, and I get every bit as much seal with ATs as I do with Sennheisers.

Jul 9, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 7
For me (unless your have rather big ears) the pads on all of my AT woodies and on my L3000s are circumaural or they seal around my ears. As it has been mentioned by Carl, a part of your ear does get very close to drivers and may get pressed against them (again this will most likely happen if you have rather big ears). I haven't had the problem of my ears resting against the drivers and find that the AT pads rest comfortably against the side of my head sealing my ears.

Jul 9, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 7
I would say that they're fully circumaural. At least they cover my ears completely. They're also very comfortable if it's not too hot inside. Leather is little bit sweating when it's too hot.

Jul 9, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
I would say that they're fully circumaural. At least they cover my ears completely. They're also very comfortable if it's not too hot inside. Leather is little bit sweating when it's too hot.

It's the same for me, I don't have any issues with my ears pressing against the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back