At which price point do Open back cans fully eliminate in your head sound?
Feb 4, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #3 of 11
There is no price point at which this happens. It is all shades of gray at all price points. Arguably, the widest sound stage headphone might be the AKG K1000.

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 11
There is no price point at which this happens. It is all shades of gray at all price points. Arguably, the widest sound stage headphone might be the AKG K1000.

Which is what like  a grand or so 

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #5 of 11
Which is what like  a grand or so 

Not many were made originally, and they are now hard to find in good working order, so the price fluctuates a lot based on demand when an example becomes available. I've seen prices in the past be anywhere from $1000 - $2500 or so. Seems like the more recent sales I have seen have been around $1500 for really nice ones. Of course, you also better check the sensitivity specs on the K1000 - they need a lot of juice.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 11
Not many were made originally, and they are now hard to find in good working order, so the price fluctuates a lot based on demand when an example becomes available. I've seen prices in the past be anywhere from $1000 - $2500 or so. Seems like the more recent sales I have seen have been around $1500 for really nice ones. Of course, you also better check the sensitivity specs on the K1000 - they need a lot of juice.

I've heard

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 11
There's also the hd800, which is currently $1500. It's the closest thing to an out of head experience i've heard in headphones.

And there's no price point where it starts sounding out of the head. There are only some special phones that do it, and they're all $1000+ (hd800, k1000). Even stax headphones can't compare with the hd800 when it comes to soundstaging.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #10 of 11
The appeal for most people here is that headphones have a more intimate presentation than speakers. Just listen til you find the pair that you like the most and try not to restrict yourself to just one thing like an out of your head sound , it'll spoil your listening tests

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 11
if you want a more 'speaker-like' sound (i.e, in front of you) I definitely suggest trying the demo of fidelia with the FHX setting on. It didn't flow with my tastes perfectly so I didn't end up buying the full program but it does make a huge difference so perhaps it could give you the effect you're looking for with a more modest set of open headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back