At what point do you get nervous about your MP3 player's HD space?
Mar 6, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #16 of 22
For me, it was when I had 22GB, and my iRiver only held 18.6GB. That is, when I had my iRiver.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanr
Right about now, when I realized that I've only put 1200 songs on my player, and that those 1200 have consumed nearly 8.5 gigs of the available 18.5 gigs. Doing the math, that doesn't exactly add up to the 5000 song capacity that the 20g iPod claims.

Granted, nothing in my library is ripped at less than ~ 256kbps AAC, and a bunch is ripped at 320kbps MP3.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to start prioritizing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple
5,000 songs(1)

1. Based on using 128Kbps AAC format.

Mar 6, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #17 of 22
My iPod 20GB is full (or something like 400mb free....so I'll jam a bit more on)
I have 1893 songs on it.
Pssssfff....5000 songs
rolleyes.gif

I almost wished I had the 60GB so I could be storing songs as ALAC...but whatcha gonna do?

Mar 7, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #20 of 22
20% free space is a good number. I rip to my computer and only put the stuff I want in portable form on one of my portable devices... Just my .02

Mar 7, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #21 of 22
i just had to delete my entire django box set from the ipod - ripped at lossless, that space was adding up. i just kept some of the gems. no worries since i have all the CDs and can put them back on anytime. i'm aiming to do the same to my Segovia collection soon - that stuff is recorded horribly, i'm just going to keep what i can't live without.

Mar 7, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #22 of 22
I keep my iPod packed to the gills... 27 gigs

I have over a terabyte of digital files, thousands of CDs, and tens of thousands of LPs and 78s... As I listen to my iPod, I use the star ratings to mark files to keep or delete. Every time I dock, I jettison the one stars and add more music. I've been doing this for the past couple of years, and my library has become more and more refined as time goes by. Eventually, I will have 30 gigs of just the best. Then I can get another iPod and do the same for classical music.

How do you go about determining which Django tunes are the gems? They're all gems to me. I would just keep it all in a compressed format. I have Fats Waller's entire output on my iPod, as well as just about all of Cab Calloway. I had everything Benny Goodman recorded on there at one point, but that was just too much.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back