At what length does gauge matter?
Apr 18, 2010 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

FraGGleR

Headphoneus Supremus
I am a fan of Mogami W2893 which is a starquad of 26awg conductors, which has worked wonderfully for some short headphone cables and interconnects. At what length (extension cable) should I look at a lower awg of conductor, any? I probably wouldn't exceed 15 feet at this point.

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a fan of Mogami W2893 which is a starquad of 26awg conductors, which has worked wonderfully for some short headphone cables and interconnects. At what length (extension cable) should I look at a lower awg of conductor, any? I probably wouldn't exceed 15 feet at this point.

A nice table here says your 26AWG wire is 0.62 ohms for 15 ft (1.24 ohms round trip). Since your HD650 are 300 ohms, cable resistance is insignificant.

Other factors may come into play though.

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 12
So at least from an impedance standpoint, as long as the wire's impedance is not greater than the impedance of the headphones, there should be no degradation in the sound?

What about capacitance? I understand that a high capacitance in a cable can impact the frequency response, but I haven't seen anything that tells me when that would occur. I don't want any high frequency roll off. Most of the lowest capacitance cables are single channel (coax) which would necessitate two separate cables twisted together which I have never seen someone do for an extension cable.

Starquad's do tend to have higher capacitance, but seem to be the natural choice for an extension cable unless I use the shield for ground with a standard two channel mic or audio cable.

I know a ton of people have made extension cables, have any of you ever looked at these figures before building?

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So at least from an impedance standpoint, as long as the wire's impedance is not greater than the impedance of the headphones, there should be no degradation in the sound?

What about capacitance? I understand that a high capacitance in a cable can impact the frequency response, but I haven't seen anything that tells me when that would occur. I don't want any high frequency roll off. Most of the lowest capacitance cables are single channel (coax) which would necessitate two separate cables twisted together which I have never seen someone do for an extension cable.

Starquad's do tend to have higher capacitance, but seem to be the natural choice for an extension cable unless I use the shield for ground with a standard two channel mic or audio cable.

I know a ton of people have made extension cables, have any of you ever looked at these figures before building?

Impedance and resistance are different factors. In impedance (the AC version of resistance), DC resistance plays a role. However, inductance and capacitance also have an effect.

Sound quality being relative, if all of the impedance was purely resistive, there should be no change in sound quality, only loudness really. However, with inductance and capacitance, there will be roll off at the ends at extreme values (think 250kHz etc.) and VERY excessive capacitance (like those Jena interconnects...) can blow your electronics.

There are twinaxial cables, but starquad should be just fine. When I use starquad for unbalanced, I use 2 conductors for signal, and 2 for ground with either a floating shield or using the shield as a drain from one end (depending on what I'm using the cable for). I also tend to build cables strictly on a need to use basis however.

Most of the values aren't important [rather, inconsequential] for consumer lengths (15ft extension cables are nothing). However, when it comes to 100-200ft patch cords for concert use, inductance and capacitance come into play. Seeing as a dynamic headphone driver don't present a purely resistive load either, slight increases in impedance due to cable build shouldn't be a big factor.

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 12
Perfect Jageur, exactly what I was looking for. Basically for anything that I am going to do (low power home audio), I can use any cable that suits my purposes.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you may find this page helpful for future reference.
link

Very nice link. Thank you for sharing this info ! I've bookmarked this link in my computer.
L3000.gif

May 7, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Just put my DMM to my Grado extension wire, which is 15ft of standard 24AWG starquad.
0.4 Ω it showed.
Even with a low imp Grado (32Ω) it is 1/4 of the conservatively recommended 5% value.

Your measurement of 0.4 ohms for 15 feet of AWG 24 agrees quite well with the value calculated using data from the Wikki wire guage table.

(15 feet) x (25.67 ohm)/(1000 feet) = 0.385 ohm

Science is great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back