AT W5000 or Denon D5000 or ???
Mar 3, 2008 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

F155mph

100+ Head-Fier
I did a search before I post and didn't find anything so I figure I just ask. Its going to be for home use. I listen to everything except for country. The amp will depend on the headphones.

Thanks!

Mar 3, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by F155mph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a search before I post and didn't find anything so I figure I just ask. Its going to be for home use. I listen to everything except for country. The amp will depend on the headphones.

Thanks!

They're both fine phones. I had both in the pass. The W5000 is leaner. The D5000 is fuller.

Despite that they are both nice phones, some might say W5000 sound thin, and some might say the D5000 is bloated. It's all depending on your taste.

You might also want to make sure that the W5000 fit your head shape, or prepare for quality issues with D5000.

Mar 3, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 19
You said you had both, so what do you have now? Is there something else you would recommend?

I had a pair of K701. I love the sound, but it didn't fit me right. Gave me a headache after a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're both fine phones. I had both in the pass. The W5000 is leaner. The D5000 is fuller.

Despite that they are both nice phones, some might say W5000 sound thin, and some might say the D5000 is bloated. It's all depending on your taste.

You might also want to make sure that the W5000 fit your head shape, or prepare for quality issues with D5000.

Mar 3, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

You said you had both, so what do you have now? Is there something else you would recommend?

The most comfortable phones, those I have or I've had, are the Stax SR-007 (Omega 2), but that might be a different story because of the price range.

Many of us can give recommendation if they know your budget and what you need.

Mar 3, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

I had a pair of K701. I love the sound, but it didn't fit me right. Gave me a headache after a while.

If you like K701 type of sound, W5000 will definitely suit you. It has more bass and better details without K701 dryness. Denons are not bad, but in my book like step or two below ATH. But again, that all depends on your taste and sonic preferences, as some cannot stand them and prefer bassier Denons.

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 19
Get the D5000. Do the Markl modding...and enjoy it. I owned W5000 in the past and I auditioned modded Markl modded D5000 and no comparison....MD5000 wins hands down.

The reason I don't like either of them is they are closed cans. I just can't stand heat build up.

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 19
i was in the same boat as you, deciding whether to get the d5000 or the w5000 (coincidence they both have 5000 in their model number?) after searching the forums, i came to the conclusion that d5000 is for me. w5000 have fitment issues, and some do say they are on the lean side. the price on them didn't help either. i went for the d5000, though some did say they have a bloated bass. once i got them, i never did turn back. the bass is prominent, but never bloated for my ears, though i am no basshead (might do the markl mod though.) you will read quality issues with them, but in my case, can't find any on mine. though the connection from the cup to the headband is quite delicate as compared to other hps and needs to be looked after. and the price really did swing my vote.

although, i am still thinking about the w5k..............
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #9 of 19
I had the W5000 and a recabled D2000. I am happily living with the Denons now. While the W5000s are definitely a more refinded can overall, I just couldn't get past the fit issues with the ATs and lack of bass that resulted from the poor fit.

Mar 4, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the W5000 and a recabled D2000. I am happily living with the Denons now. While the W5000s are definitely a more refinded can overall, I just couldn't get past the fit issues with the ATs and lack of bass that resulted from the poor fit.

my L3000, which i just acquired, fits well but not as snug as i would like it. after owning and using the 650 for a while, you learn to appreciate the solid clamp of that headphone. tonight i brought home from the office a semi-large stack of papers. they were held together by a semi-large rubber band. i'm sitting here browsing through these documents and listening to my L3000, when i start to get annoyed by the fit. then i look at the rubber band and say, maybe ... why not.
biggrin.gif
so now i am wearing my L3000 with a large rubber band over them - perfect fit. sound better than ever. i must look like an idiot, but they fit nice and snug.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #12 of 19
I got a pair of grado GS-1000's. I'm selling off most of my headphones except for a few senns, an 880 beyer the 701's and the D5000. I think the grado
GS-1000 are the most satisfying headphones I've ever listened to. This may change and I'll always love the phones I listed that I'm keeping but the Grado's really opened my eyes or should I say ears. The D5000 are sweet, the 650/600/580 are classic as are the 701 and the 880's. Without spending a huge amount on phones I'm not sure what else there is. I supose I've got a lot to learn. An amplifier upgrade to the RSA Apache has changed the way I listen to all headphones now. I think a good amp is huge in deciding the right headphones.I just did it backwards. One should probably get a good amp to match good phones funds permitting.

Mar 4, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

What about the 780?

Too soon to tell anything. Too much hype, very few credible impressions. I guess after Prolines fiasco, many are just extra careful about this brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back