AT W2002 and W100 compared
Feb 23, 2002 at 5:45 PM Post #31 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
KurtW- what is your favorite headphone now? I know it's too early to really say... but...

I'm betting he says V6.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #32 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by KurtW
I did listen to the HD600 briefly with these same tracks, and they were more relaxed and silky smooth. I felt the bass wasn’t as good (somewhat heavy but without quite the impact), and they are grainier and much less transparent. The difference is a little like listening to a live event which is very dynamic but has some imperfections to overlook (the AT), verses a very good recording which is perfectly presented but you know it’s not live (the HD600).

ooooh. Okay I know I posted something on another thread on the same topic, but it's probably more relevant here with hands-on experts.

So what about the AT (W100 and W2002) vs. the HD600 with a Stefan/Clou/Cardas cable? Much of what the cable brings (according to others) is a better bass response and improved transparency. This may mean that the HD600 may equal the ATs...

Would a $150-160 expense (for the cable) be worth it compared to the $330 for the W100s (assuming you already have the HD580/600)?

Feb 24, 2002 at 5:27 AM Post #33 of 129
Quote:

PianoBlack said...

This may mean that the HD600 may equal the ATs...

I don't know about the W100, but I'll compare the W2002 to my 580 w/ Clou in a few days.

Feb 24, 2002 at 9:48 AM Post #34 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
"what happened to Mick?s voice? It sounds like got his hands cupped around his mouth"

I noted the same phenomenon in some of my remarks about the W2002. But I actually listened A LOT to the W2002, and I found this phenomenon was not constant, but only with certain singers on certain CDs. I also found the "cupped hands" quality did diminish with burn-in, but was not completely gone on those recording affected by it. I wondered how many people would notice this without a Sony R10 to compare against.

Kurt,
Is it possible that I planted this idea in your head, and did that make you look for the "cupped hands" effect? Would you notice it at all if you didn't have the W100 to compare it with?

markl

I have yet to experience any "cupped around the mouth" from my W2002. This makes me ponder if there is anything to do with the CDP or the amps.

Any comment on this assumption?

Feb 24, 2002 at 9:54 AM Post #35 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by PianoBlack

ooooh. Okay I know I posted something on another thread on the same topic, but it's probably more relevant here with hands-on experts.

So what about the AT (W100 and W2002) vs. the HD600 with a Stefan/Clou/Cardas cable? Much of what the cable brings (according to others) is a better bass response and improved transparency. This may mean that the HD600 may equal the ATs...

Would a $150-160 expense (for the cable) be worth it compared to the $330 for the W100s (assuming you already have the HD580/600)?

Hi PianoBlack,

I saw some used Stefan's Clou cables going for sale occasionally at some of the swedish website. You might want to check them out if you are keen to get them.

I can help you with the purchase if you happen to see one.

Try these links.

http://www.hifimagasinet.com/lasannons.asp

http://www.esoterisk-hifi.se/index.html

Cheers !

Feb 24, 2002 at 6:39 PM Post #36 of 129
PianoBlack, the HD600 I used had the blue Clou. The cable helps the transparency of the HD600 a bit but not by leaps and bounds. If there was a 0-10 transparency scale, the blue clou maybe took the HD600 from a 6 to 6.5, where the W2002 is a 10. The W100 is at least a 9.5, probably higher.

Yesterday a listened again to the same CD where I heard the cupped voice, and it didn't show up hardly at all. In fact I listened to the entire CD because I was enjoying the music so much, hearing little details for the first time. Previous to this I had put another 15 hours or so on burn-in time on the phones, in case that would help. It might have been the burn-in, or the fact that I hadn't compared it with anything else, or the different CDP/amp/cables (Rega Jupiter/IO and Sudgen HeadMaster), or my mood, I'm not sure. The fact that eariler when it did hear it on the W2002, I didn't hear it at all when I quickly switched to the W100 made me think it didn't have anything to do with the equipment. I wasn't able do any more listening for the rest of the day yesterday so hopefully today I'll check it out more.

Feb 26, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #38 of 129
Hi, AT owners and all.

I am having a bloody hard time getting a response from Vincent Chan with regard to the purchase of some W100s. I have tried thrice already and have received no response. To be 100 percent clear, I'd contacted him once previously, got a price from him and from subsequent e-mails I've received no response.

I'm dying to throw my money at him, I simply do not understand what is going on. Any idea why this might be? Is anyone else having the same problem?

Best,
Matt

Feb 27, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #39 of 129
If you don't hear from him but want to wire the $, I still have the AudioTechnica account information I could send you. Contact me directly. We should remember he's doing this as a favor; he's not a retailer and has a job to do and his own life. We're half a world away.

As far as comparisons go, to me it seemed that the price comparisons are a bit more complex than we've suggested. Let's put aside as much as possible the shipping, customs, and wire transfer fees for a minute, and consider the US costs.

The HD-580/600 retail from roughly $200 to 300 on the web, plus about $10 shipping. And they really need an amp to realize their minimal capabilities, plus we're told they need aftermarket cable. The ATH-W100 is $320 shipped, and you really don't need an amp to realize more of their potential than the Senn (believe me, you don't). And no one has played with cables yet. So I'd love to read a comparison of these cans, and others in that range, without amps, and then with three or so amps (solid-state and tube), and the Senns with and without the expensive cables.

The W2002 is another $400. That's more in the CD-3000 range, but not the R10 range. To me, that's another leap in investment. Most people plunking down $800 for cans already have an amp, or will buy another, and are spending overall at least twice what the earlier group is spending.

I think we too-easily get hung up on the "wood" factor and compare the W2002 and the R10 (an anyway, a mfr's claim to make the ultimate cans is not the sole criteria for comparison between cans, IMHO). I can't imagine a "plastic" headphone comparison, or a "metal" one! Might as well compare the ultimate apple and the ultimate orange.

Heck, we should be happy there's another choice, and such a unique one, with a unique blend of characteristics that most of the "competition" doesn't have.

Feb 27, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #40 of 129
...thanks for the offer. I don't know if I'd want to wire the money without some sort of confirmation from him.

To be frank, I am quite miffed at this whole thing, especially considering the friendly treatment everyone else has seemed to have received.

Anyways, at this point, I'm hoping against hope that he'll contact me.

- Matt

Feb 27, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #41 of 129
Vincent was very prompt with my emails. If he hasn't been responding I would guess that something is occurring with the actual email or that he's out sick. I wouldn't assume that he's purposefully ignoring you.

W2002 is a 10 and W100 is a 9.5+ in transparency, eh? What did I spend the extra $400 on again? Oh yeah, the $15 metal case.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2002 at 11:12 AM Post #42 of 129
Vincent has been very prompt with my queries so far.

Maybe he was tied up with work. He is not exactly marketing AT cans and he has been quite helpful.

I am sorely tempted to go out now and grab me a piece of W100. I reside in Singapore and each piece will cost me about US$XXX
cool.gif

Feb 27, 2002 at 2:03 PM Post #43 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by Ruach
I am sorely tempted to go out now and grab me a piece of W100. I reside in Singapore and each piece will cost me about US$220
cool.gif

You could easily sell it here for $220+shipping if you decide you don't like it. Seems risk free to me.

Feb 27, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #44 of 129
Matt, are you specifically mentioning the W100, or both it and the W2002? Because he actually made a public statement (through Mark Rael) that he will not do W2002's any more.

Ruach, I agree with kelly -- you would probably get a line of people. I would say "dibs", but I'm not in the market for headphones right now...just yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back