AT-W1000, requires an amp?
Jun 5, 2005 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

widds2v

100+ Head-Fier
Just a curious question since this is primarly the only headphone I am pursuing atm. Obviously it is well known that the A900 doesn't need an amp to shine, and sounds pretty good "out of the box", although an amp helps boost it even more. Is the W1000 similar? Or is it more like other high-end cans that need an amp?

To give some perspective, I believe the HD580 requires an amp. I know a lot of people say it doesn't, but I think it sounds terrible, and the volume output absolutly sucks without one. So if it offers a similar experience unamped, I'll probably need to pick on up as well.

With that being said, any recommendations on an amp for it, if needed? Looking for something as small as possible.

Jun 5, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #2 of 7
having owned the 1000s for quite awhile id say that the at's need an amp which jives with its impedance, ie: with an mg head using the tube section it sounds like *****, out of my headroom little it is more than acceptable, but with a ray samuels amp they sounded terrific. not sure what the model was at the time, it was at a chitown meet quite awhile ago but i was very impressed.

Jun 5, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 7
In terms of impedance and efficiency, no it doesn't strictly speaking need an amp. It will even work to an extent directly out of the comparatively pathetic output of the HD5. But one would maximise the dynamic potential of the W1000 (such as it is) and colour the audio to your taste.

Jun 5, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 7
So being a fairly effecient headphone something like a supermacro or SR71 would amplify it good enough I assume?

Jun 5, 2005 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 7
Technically you can drive these headphones with almost anything. They have been made this way.

But to maximize your pleasure yes get the amplifier.

Slwiser

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 7
i dont know what ears you guys are listening with but ill tell you that you most certainly cannot drive these headphones with anything. after listening to them with the mg head tube section before comparing them to a more efficient amp i would have thrown them in the garbage, "technically" maybe you can "drive" them with anything, but thats a far cry from saying theyll sound good with anything.

Jun 5, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 7
I have to say it doesn't simply depend on the impedance of the headphone to decide the needs of amp.From my experience,I could tell you that a900 need a amp,so I think w1000 would not be a exception.

IMO,audio technnica amps+audio technnica headphones would be so perfect.For example,HA2002 is the best choice to drive L3000.

So,if you have a huge budget,go for a HA2002,but honestly speaking,HA2002 is rare and hard to find one now.If you only have a thin wallet,I would suggest you pick HA20.HA20 is a beatiful tiny stuff,and I had heared HA20 drived a900,this set made the mids so sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back