AT-W1000- need comparison with sr225
Jul 31, 2004 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tuatara

500+ Head-Fier
I've been running Grado 225s for about 4 years now and am generally happy with them but am looking to bring a 2nd set of phones into my system.
Initially I'd thought about RS1s but have decided to try something away from the Grado sound(and discomfort).
I've tried the Sen Hd650s and while admiring them as a nice headphone they weren't what I was looking for , preffering something closer to the Grado sound.
Now looking at a pair of AT-W1000. Wondering how they stand compared to the SR225s which are my reference point.
They'll be driven by a Perreaux Silhouette SXH1 which works fine with the Grados and since the ATs are a similar impedence I guess they should be ok with them to.
There are so many conflicting reports on any headphone, very personal how they sound I know, but would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experience of actually owning/listening for extended period to both sets of cans.
My music styles are pretty broad, frpm 16 Horsepower through Motorhead to Richard Thompson and John Lee Hooker. Alt. Country/Americana to prog rock.

Jul 31, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 4
Perhaps you should consider the Beyer dt880 as well. They have the comfort of the Sennheiser phones, but more "up front imaging" somewhat closer to the 225's. Also, the build quality is nicer than the 225's, but not as nice as the w1000's, but then what else is?

- augustwest

Aug 2, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 4
I'm not a good reviewer, so I'll put it this way.
Compared to SR225, W1000 has:
-wider sound stage
-more controled and detailed highs
-same amount of mids
-tighter bass

Comparing these two, W1000 is flat, analytical headphone whereas SR225 is punchy, fun headphone. Yes, it's very different, yet not that different like Grado vs AKGs.
That's all I can say.

Aug 2, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 4
We should actually start a FAQ for headphones that are similar to Grado headphones. The ones that I have personal experience with that satisfies this condition are the Koss KSC35 and Sennheiser HD25-1. The Senn HD595 is purported to be similar as well.

I don't think the AT-W1000 will be Grado-like. But then again, I've never heard it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back