AT MSR7 or Phil Fidelio L2? Also DAC/AMP questions...
Oct 9, 2016 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

DatGameh

Head-Fier
I am planning to buy a not-too-high-end headphone (or high, if I am mistaken) to listen to genuinely good music.
I'm going to Japan, so this will give me good opportunity to buy decent stuff.

The AT MSR7 and Fidelio L2 headphones are currently in my price range (the AT MSR7 is actually a little higher).
In a website, I found the MSR7 for 26K Yen, and the Fidelio L2 for 15K Yen.

Quality wise, I can't really tell. No website has actually compared them.
"How can it be comparable?" I hear you ask.
Previously, when the Fidelio was released, it was priced at $299. Pretty high, and with good reviews too.
The MSR7 was $249-ish, and is still is now. Not as high as the Philips, yet, praised for being a very Hi-res headphone allowing you to hear even the small imperfections of any music piece (which was a downside), as said by numerous reviewers.

The prices in japan are different, and the MSR7 is, for some reason, more expensive in Japan than in the US.
(I don't live in the US)
The price of the Fidelio dropped over time. From 29K Yen to 15K, which was a higher price point than the MSR7. Maybe because the competition grew?
I think not. Probably because Philips was never recognized for their high end headphones, and sold quite poorly.

Maybe it could be better than the MSR7. I just don't know.
Z-Reviews (arguably my favorite reviewer) was saying "Fk you, Philips" numerous times for not making it widely available in the US, even after reviewing the MSR7 a year before.

So, which one is better? An unknown gem, or a too-good-to-be-used headphone?

Also, I would like some suggestions on portable DAC/AMP combos for phones.
I'm looking at Fiio Q1 and the Dragonfly right now. They're pretty cool, and come at a good value for their price. About 13K Yen.
But, I feel like I need the money for something else too.

Besides them, does anyone know any good DAC/AMP combos for phones? It should be better if they are Japanese, since they should be cheaper in Japan.
Onkyo, maybe? Their $300 DAC/AMP costs about 19K Yen in Japan. Although, at that value, I don't really think I want to spend that much on "just" a DAC/AMP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back