at last: MZ-E10 Vs MD-DS8 >anybody know Chinese? :D
Feb 2, 2003 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tina

100+ Head-Fier
I found this link (thanks to Sebastien). A nice shootout (I think) on the two high-end players that Sharp and Sony released lately. This two had been the most intriguing among MD fans lately as to which would sound better. I hope this article would be a bit of help.

If anyone here can read Chinese, please tell us about the sound comparisons. The babelfish translation is, as always, crappy. From what I could get, the Sony stock headphones are better than the Sharp (that doesn't mean they both don't belong in the trash bin). As for the units, I believe Sharp has the two thumbs up "the detail is rich, the sound field is open, all sounds performance all with meticulous care" (go figure
rolleyes.gif
).

The pics are nice too. Check out how the Sharp backlit of the remote is much brighter. How I wish they used the hairline finish DS8 instead of the red one. But I suppose the red one is not that bad looking on its own.

Feb 2, 2003 at 9:54 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Tina
The pics are nice too. Check out how the Sharp backlit of the remote is much brighter. How I wish they used the hairline finish DS8 instead of the red one. But I suppose the red one is not that bad looking on its own.

Sorry that I can't help with translations
frown.gif

I just wanted to say that I think the EL Sony remotes (MC11 & MC12) whilst maybe looking darker than the sharp unit, are more than bright enough for night time use...

I have a sneaky feeling that the Sharp unit could be like my Nokia 8310 cellphone, with its bright white LEDs...

They're bright enough to light a darkened room, and they also burn your eyes out if you look directly at them
frown.gif

Feb 2, 2003 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 11
The auvi 'mote ain't that bad at all.. I'd say they're equal (11EL and DR7 'mote) in terms of brightness. Unfortunately the auvi 'mote is 'upside down', as are the new sonys. That sucks. I didn't know i'd have to learn to read upside down to use this remote!

I agree with those babble fesh comments. DR7 on D22s is more detailed than the PC1 deck I have. Not surprisingly the decks got a 'richer' sound as it's 28mW (32 ohm) headphone out..

I'm always amazed at how fat the E10 makes everything look. Luckily I also know which one is going to last the longest, and it sure ain't the E10
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 11
Basically the reviewer said it was difficult for him to choose between the 2, it was looks of the MZ-E10 vs the sounds of MD-DS8.

He ended up picking the DS8 for overall sound quality.

speicific comments on sounds, he felt the E10 clearly sounded more artificial, compressed, and the highs are weak. With the DS8 he felt the highs, mids, and lows are all presented(and superior to the E10), the soundstage is clear and fuller.

regarding the dolby and vpt technolopy featured on these, he felt these resulted in loss of details, but the dolby one is superior in terms of surround effect. He thought of these more as gimmicks.

Feb 2, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 11
Hi Jia, nice to meet you too. I'm in the US and currently working to save $ for graduate school. The jd bbs looks nice, I just signed up as a member.

Feb 3, 2003 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 11
Duncan: the auvi remote is not at all that glaring for the eyes. it's just CLEAR
biggrin.gif
. i know how you feel about the nokia. my cell phone (a high end samsung) is very painful to the eyes when i bought it. that's why i had the led changed to blue. it's still bright but it's now more eye friendly.

me: as for upside down remotes, the n1 is an opposite of the e10 remote. wonder why they didn't retain that?

zchen, thanks for translating that for us.

Quote:

Originally posted by zchen
...He ended up picking the DS8 for overall sound quality.
speicific comments on sounds, he felt the E10 clearly sounded more artificial, compressed, and the highs are weak. With the DS8 he felt the highs, mids, and lows are all presented(and superior to the E10), the soundstage is clear and fuller.

very_evil_smiley.gif
woohooo, that's just what we want to hear.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 3, 2003 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 11
I think if they invert the LCD maybe the backlit characters would be more clear to see?!?

I was wondering about the vpl acoustic engine that comes with the Sony... so does it still have the 8 step presets like some previous machines?

Nokia should have used EL displays long ago... they are so eye friendly in my opinion...

Feb 3, 2003 at 4:18 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Tina
very_evil_smiley.gif
woohooo, that's just what we want to hear.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Damn straight! *pats beast*

The 11EL is good, but breaks too easily (useless for titling now..) IMO. Bah, my R37 'mote kicks all other remotes in terms of portability, except maybe the Pana MR200 'mote.. \

Here's your thread back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back