AT ATH-W1000 and MF X-Can v2?
Jul 2, 2008 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

QuadESL63

New Head-Fier
So, I have an old Muiscal Fidelity X-Can v2 and a pair of Sennheiser HD-535 that I used in my office. I've move the combo back home now and I'd like to replace the 535 with a better 'phones. I listen to accoustic musics mostly like jazz vocal/trio/quartet/duet and classical musics. From what I have read here the Audio Technica ATH-W1000 seems to be a good choice for these music genres. So, will this close ear headphones and the X-Can v2 be a good match? Any idea? I may eventually get a Yamamoto HA-02 (or an EarMAX) in the future but definitely not at the moment. The headphone amp (X-Can v2 or a new one) will be fed by the second preamp output on my Audio Research SP-16 such that I can listen to both vinyls and CDs/SACDs.

Thanks!

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #2 of 3
Hello,

I used to have my W1000 amped with an X-Can v3. I don't know the differences/similarities of the v2 and the v3 though..

I personally didn't like the synergy between this set-up. It did not produce, of what I perceive as, a natural sound, the sound is somewhat muffled, and bloated. The bass is especially affected negatively. Though the sound is still 'good' technically, but I found there are better amps which has better synergy with the W1000.

I auditioned the W1000 with the Cantate and I liked it, with the Cantate, imaging is improved and everything sounds much more natural and relaxed, and more flat. I now have my W1000 amped with a G&W AT-F100, which doesn't cost much, as long as you can find one, and I like it - natural sounding and flat response, with a slight warmth to the sound for a sound that can be described as "technically good and musical at the same time".

Jul 3, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 3
Ok, I guess not a good match then?

Any other suggestions? TIA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back