AT ATH-M50 or AKG 271 MKII / AKG 272
Sep 19, 2012 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Maknut

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to replace my headphones. I would like to get closed cans as I'm a college student and cutting out the ambient noise of 40,000 other student is high on the list. I have previously owned AKG's and am a big fan of the soundstage and AKG's mids are clearly best in the biz in my personal opinion. After doing some research, I'm trying to decide between the AKG 271 MKII (or the AKG 272, the consumer model of the same headphone) and the AT M50's. Any one have advice that will make this choice easier or other sub $200 cans suggestions? I listen to a lot of jazz, swing, classic rock, and underground hip-hop, along with some blues and contemporary alt/rock. While I sometimes do listen to electronic, it isn't everyday by any means so this supposed AKG lack of bass is not a huge deal. I will be going from a either a home audio receiver straight to the headphones or from a either a laptop or phone to a Fiio E11 to the cans. Thanks for any help in advance. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
I'm looking to replace my headphones. I would like to get closed cans as I'm a college student and cutting out the ambient noise of 40,000 other student is high on the list. I have previously owned AKG's and am a big fan of the soundstage and AKG's mids are clearly best in the biz in my personal opinion. After doing some research, I'm trying to decide between the AKG 271 MKII (or the AKG 272, the consumer model of the same headphone) and the AT M50's. Any one have advice that will make this choice easier or other sub $200 cans suggestions? I listen to a lot of jazz, swing, classic rock, and underground hip-hop, along with some blues and contemporary alt/rock. While I sometimes do listen to electronic, it isn't everyday by any means so this supposed AKG lack of bass is not a huge deal. I will be going from a either a home audio receiver straight to the headphones or from a either a laptop or phone to a Fiio E11 to the cans. Thanks for any help in advance. 

I haven't tried the M50's so i cant comment on those, but i own the k272, it isolates incredibly well, jazz sounds quite good on them, as does some rock, the mids arent very aggressive from what ive noticed. I can tell you that they dont lack bass though, i even brought them to a meet and one of the guys there was surprised by the amount of bass on them. I really like the sound on them for what they are, even though i ended up overpaying, id give them a pretty decent recommendation but of course try and demo before you buy. On a side note they're super comfy after you stretch the headband a little

Users who are viewing this thread

Back