AT ATH-ES7 vs Senn HD 555
Jan 29, 2010 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jay jay

New Head-Fier
Hi There,

Just wondering if anyone has any views about which is the better headphone out of these two.

i'll mainly be using them for commuting and for at home use. i'm looking for a warm rich sound for acoustic guitars and also good quality sound for rootsier more upbeat music and for swing/ska music.

i noticed that the 555 has a more 'far away / muffled' sound than the ES7. the ES7 is also good for blocking out outside noise. however i find the ES7 quite heavy on my head.

any advice would be really helpful.

thanks

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 14
wow.. i like both of these headphones. the thing is, for commuting it would be es7 hands down since its closed and smaller. home use id probably go with hd555 so really... im no help. lol
id go with the es7 only because you need it for commuting too. the sound is also more rich in my opinion with heavier bass.
they arent as comfortable as the hd555s though, thast for sure.

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 14
I have only used the 555's, but I think they are great, especially for the price.They have a large sound stage, and have a great a great frequency response chart. Also, the 555's are great for movies and long listening sessions due to the comfort level, although I agree that they are not the best commuting headphones. The 555's have a rather long cord and are rather bulky for commuting. But I don't like closed cans for commuting because I think one should be well aware of their surroundings. So I use Grados for my headphone on the go choice, as they are lightweight and hang around the neck easily. But lower end Grados take some time to get used to, but have great clarity.

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 14
Lol using Grado's portably is a pretty bad idea. They leak in your surroundings, making you want to your music up to loud volumes. Others will hear your music and you will get hearing troubles later down the track. IEMs are much better suited for portability. Anyway back to the OP, I would go for the ES7. It suits what you are looking for the best

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 14
smily_headphones1.gif
I like my music to be included with my surroundings. I don't over crank my music to drown out my surrounding sounds, so yes I hear subways noises, people, talking, etc, and I'm unable to hear all the glorious moments of the songs I probably already know, but I just enjoy listening to my favorite music while also being aware of my surroundings. Maybe that's not normal...
dt880smile.png

Either way, that's my preference... And I am conscious to not bother people in my surroundings with my music. If it gets quiet on the train, I'll re-level my music, etc.

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jay jay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
however i find the ES7 quite heavy on my head.

do you mean they are massive clamping pressure on your head? My ES7s felt horrible when new and the first thing i did when i got them was bend the headband a bit to straighten them out. Some instructions here

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol might as well have SR-60's then
biggrin.gif

if going grados i'd go ms1 - when i had them i found they were at a similar level to the es7s.

I sometimes use my grado hf2 as a portable, but only around the house - i wouldnt use the grados on a train, etc... you wont be able to hear the music at all above all the surrounding noise, but that's my opinion.

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol might as well have SR-60's then
biggrin.gif

I still crank it at times, and I also use the SR225i in a class that I have for sound design, as those are easier to carry around than the AKG 702.
bigsmile_face.gif

I just enjoy how well the Grado's fit around your neck... makes them easy to carry around. But I understand most people would probably want closed or IEMs for transit... Although walking with the Grados in a public area is like walking with a pair of speakers following you, it's kind of a cool effect.

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you mean they are massive clamping pressure on your head? My ES7s felt horrible when new and the first thing i did when i got them was bend the headband a bit to straighten them out. Some instructions here

more like a strong downward pressure on the top of my head where the headband sits. there's clamping on the side where the cups are as well but i can put up with that more (as i think the headache is coming from the headband at the top). does that modification you've sent me the link to lessen any of the pressure on the top of the head. i've tried leaving a gap between the headband and my head but then the cups lose their seal... i'm wondering whether to try and take the es7's back and get the 555s instead (if i can). however to me the es7's seemed to have better sound quality and less leakage... so i am torn... but don't want to end up with a set of cans that i never end up wearing.

thanks for the comments so far.

Jan 29, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #12 of 14
I'd go with the ES7s for sure. But maybe you can try the blue tack mod as there are claims of having increased clarity which is something I think these portable cans lack. And the headband mod is a must if you don't want that awful clamping pressure, or look like a normal human being lol.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 14
HD555 for comfort and 'all-roundedness' but a little boring, the ES7 for a little isolation, style and enjoyable sound but not so comfortable.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #14 of 14
If you don't mind open while on the bus, then I'd suggest Grados as well.
The HD555 really don't do music all that well. I haven't modded them. I use them for gaming and movies mainly.
The ES7 are also a great idea. You may want to consider the Shures as well for a close alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back