at an empasse: do I NEED speakers?
Oct 13, 2005 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Inkmo

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm putting together my first real system (got into headfi a while ago, and it's finally spilled over into wanting home system components).

I have around 150 dollars left in my starting budget (probably less after I get this turntable I'm bidding on, though), and I've found myself at an empasse: Should I bother with having speakers, or should I spend the money on a second set of decent headphones (for variety, and having a second person over to listen to music with). I kind of suggested this as a joke at first in another thread, but the more I think about it, the more practical it seems... I dunno. Maybe I'm thinkin' crazy thoughts. There are some Seen HD580s though over in FS that look powerfully appealing though. I figure a headphone like that should outlive a few generations of upgrades on my budget
rolleyes.gif

I'd like to hear your thoughts...

Edit: uh, would this be better over in 'headphones'?

Oct 13, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 2
Nobody needs speakers in their system (I waited for about a year after getting into "hi-fi" audio to get speakers). They do give you a good alternative to headphone listening (and by some/most people standards one that is "better"). However, they also cost more money and require more setup (although seeing as you're bidding on a turntable (which model BTW?) I don't think that'll be an issue) to get "equal" sound (bothin comparing the "absolute" sound quality level of the two types of listening and in terms of eliminating room distortion). My reccomendation would be to save your money for now. Especially since you're getting a turntable, it's always good to have spare cash in case of unexpected problems and purchases (for example unexpected operation problems (this has bit me in the butt twice getting turntable off eBay), setup equipement, cartridge/stylus replacements, accessories not related to setup, and just general maintenance). Also, by saving you'll be able to afford to get better speakers than would if you just spent the money you have now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back