AT AD2000: Maximizing potential
Oct 28, 2008 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

themanbeast

100+ Head-Fier
I'm buying a recabled Audio Technica AD2000 off the FS forum, and I'm wondering what I would need to do to maximize the potential of these cans. I already have a ZERO DAC (which I use for my AD700 and Grado SR-80 right now) and a Darkvoice 336i which melds wonderfully with my AKG K240S.

These are low impedence, well driven cans right? will the Zero run them just fine? Maybe even better through my X-Fi Prelude? (seems to have more bass than the zero) Or should I invest in a better SS amp? This won't be my last jaunt into high end headphones, but I plan on sticking with the AD2000 for at least a year or two, and my upgrades will probably be in the ATH line as well (W5000 or one of the new closed cans probably), so anything that would maximize these in general is what I'm looking for
smily_headphones1.gif

If it makes a difference, as I am an amp n00b, I listen to mainly rock music, and yes, I prefer the AD700 sound for rock over the grado. Call me nuts.
wink.gif

I was looking at the Headroom Micro for an amp, would that be a step up from the amp in the zero? I want to buy from them because they have been very helpful to me in the past, but I also want the best for my money, and that will obviously be the priority.

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 21
a) I feel tubes gave the best performace with the AD2K
b) I feel that the phatpad mod is essential; not just for comfort but also to increase the distances between the ear and the driver which enhances soundstage and overall coherence (IMO, YMMV, etc. etc.
wink.gif
)

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 21
hmm, so you think the darkvoice will be a good match for it? also, if I went that route, is the zero going to be a good enough source for it?

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 21
And a Zana Deux.

And everything else that describes IronButt's rig.

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

I am an amp n00b

|
|
|
V
Quote:

And a Zana Deux

Priceless!
biggrin.gif

I think the DV should be fine realy; I found the AD2000 to scale well with amplification, but never sound particularly bad with any amps. As for source - give it a go for a few weeks and listen carefully to identify if there are any "weak areas" or characteristics not to your liking. You can then decide on whether to tackle this via a source upgrade, or through tweaks such as tube rolling.

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 21
IIRC, there was an earlier meet where someone had the AD2000 paired with the DV336i and the comments were that it sounded pretty good.

GradoFan2 has used it with the DV332 and I think he found the pairing to be very nice too, even though the DV332 excels more with the HD650 and high impedance headphones from most user impressions.

I've heard the AD2000 with the GS-1, HR micro and the maxxed WA6 that I have for the past year. As Xenithon said, the AD2000 being a relatively easy headphone to drive means that it fares reasonably well with most amps but would excel with a great amp like the Zana Deux I'm sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Only thing with the DV336i I think would be that any tubes that hum/buzz would be quite noticeable with the AD2000 because of it being low impedance/high sensitivity compared to something like the HD650.

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC, there was an earlier meet where someone had the AD2000 paired with the DV336i and the comments were that it sounded pretty good.

GradoFan2 has used it with the DV332 and I think he found the pairing to be very nice too, even though the DV332 excels more with the HD650 and high impedance headphones from most user impressions.

I've heard the AD2000 with the GS-1, HR micro and the maxxed WA6 that I have for the past year. As Xenithon said, the AD2000 being a relatively easy headphone to drive means that it fares reasonably well with most amps but would excel with a great amp like the Zana Deux I'm sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Only thing with the DV336i I think would be that any tubes that hum/buzz would be quite noticeable with the AD2000 because of it being low impedance/high sensitivity compared to something like the HD650.

this is exactly why I'm using the Zero mostly with my AD700, the hum is pretty mellow but I can definitely hear it. Any suggestions on a good set of tubes that would do this job well?

for the Zana Deux, is it worth it? because I could probably afford it no problem. Havent even seen an exact price tag, havent even looked yet, but if its in the 2-3k range I could get it on Friday. I am blessed with having quite a bit of gains on the stock market that I am now putting to use.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: $1900? thats the first link on google, eddie audio. I can afford that no problem. question is, will it be worth it compared to the 336i?

double edit: 8-10k? what was i thinking lol... more like 2-3k. 8-10 would be a second house mortgage
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 21
The Zana Deux is currently 2500$ new, there is also a used one in the FS section right now. Whether it is worth it is of course up to you and your appreciation of its refinement and also what type of sound you are looking for.

I haven't owned the DV336i personally, so I cant recommend any tube combos, but I think a quick read through the long DV336i tuberolling thread will give you many great suggestions. Those listeners using the Grado headphones would also need quiet tubes, so perhaps their recommendations would work well with the AD2000.

Also consider the WooAudio amps, the WA6SE with the Sophia Princess 274B has many fans. That would set you back about 1200$. I have the maxed WA6 and it sounds great to me with the AD2000 and the HD650. The WA6SE should be a more dynamic and open sounding amp in comparison, esp. with the 274B rectifier.

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #13 of 21
if ad2k behaves anything like a grado, i believe there is a grado hpa-1 for sale at the moment, it's quite an amp just short of a fully modded out melos maestro and i'm sure a beefier power supply would do great things for it... but seeing as you already have an amp, go for a source upgrade first. bel canto dac2 is a good place to start.

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #14 of 21
This may be overkill but the LD 1+ @ $109 is worth considering because it's excellent with Grados and from what I've read AT phones need an amp about as much as Grados do.

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #15 of 21
I'm jealous of your future purchase, have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back