AT A900 with Zu Cable AKG Mobius cable
Mar 26, 2004 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

itza2mer

500+ Head-Fier
I knew the moment I bought a A900, that I would end up adding a mini-XLR connector so I could use a Zu Mobius cable. I wanted to replace all of the internal wiring with B3 wire, however Zu wouldn't sell it to me. I ended using 4 strands of 30 guage litz wire. Benefits: Bass is deeper, more refined, and tighter sounder. The midrange is fuller and more upfront, the treble has more detail and is less harsh. Before the mods, at times crash cymbal strikes sounded like someone breaking coke bottles.

1.gif

2.gif

Click on this link if you can't see photos: http://man2god.freeservers.com/A900mod.htm

Note: I'm not suggesting that anyone modify their headphones, or that modifing your headphones is a 'smart' to do. My goal was not to make a A900 sound 'better' than, for example, a W1000 or a CD3000. My goal was to see if I could make refine the A900 sound, and I feel that so far I have done so sucessfully.

Mar 26, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 22
I'll post close-up of the connectors soon. I went with a 3 mini-XLR male connector, since the new AKG version of the Zu Mobius (which uses a 3 pin mini-XLR female connector) is very affordable ($89 fot 2 meters). I wanted to try to keep the look of the headphones as close to original as possible , which is why I didn't go with a Y cable configuration.

I feel the CD3000 is ripe for tweaking, and would benefit greatly using non-stock wiring.

Mar 26, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 22
that's a very nice mod.
cool.gif

I wouldn't attempt anything like that on any of my current audio-technica cans, but maybe if I get cheaper ones.... more headphones to buy, w00t!!

Mar 26, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #9 of 22
itza2mer,
very VERY nice mod you have there! it looks great and sounds like you've made the right decision in choosing the right cable. the Mobius is certainly something special and i think any headphone would benefit greatly from it.

one can only imagine how great a Mobius would sound on a CD3000. if i had one, i would certainly try it (or have someone else do it for me seeing as how i'd probably break something)...couldn't hurt
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #10 of 22
itza2mer,

Doh!

Thanks. My mind naturally gravitates to separate wires going to each ear cup. I don't know why I didn't see the single cable.

You might as well supply a link to the Mobius cable as others may be interested.

Mar 27, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #11 of 22
How soon before we start seeing A900Mods.com and CD3KMods.com websites popping up to do these tweaks for those of us who feel that "stock" is a dirty word?
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I would probably spring for a modded CD3K if someone with better technical skills than I possess was to do the mods. Let us know if there is marked improvement in the sound with the Zu cable. Maybe some other crazy person will try and swap out stock wiring with Silver Dragon components for a zestier sound.

Mar 27, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #12 of 22
It would be easy to add a mini-XLR connector to a Sony CD3000 if you stick with the existing wiring inside the headphone. Snaking new wiring thru the headband assembly would take some time and patience, however it can be done.

AKG Mobius cable: email or call Zu Cable. Sometimes Zu Cable will sell a Mobius for a lower price that they offer on their website.

The AKG Mobius does help refine the A900 sound, however I feel that any headphone can benefit by replacing the stock wiring.

Mar 27, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 22
zu cable is a great company and Nate is a good guy...

-----

ok... well, I've edited my post... I think I missed something there... I was just suggesting that it is a bad idea to mention any deals that Nate has given people on an individual basis in case he feels obligated to go with a deal that is no longer in effect... quite a few people have purchased this cable for beta testing purposes or have a special arrangement with him...

my comment was NOT meant to be a slight at it itza2mer, sorry if you took it that way man
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #15 of 22
now that we have both edited our messages, I dont see that there is any need to start hacking this thread apart
wink.gif

btw... nice job on the mod... I'm sort of glad that I have the K271 and this mod isnt necessary (I think I would have a heart attack doing something like that to my headphones)... I applaud your courage in doing it though, it looks very proffesional
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back