At 60mW/Channel is Karma best for ER4?
Jun 3, 2004 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

vranswer

1000+ Head-Fier
According to CNET the Karma is rated at 60mW/channel. That's twice the 30m/W for the Ipod and suggests the ability to drive perhaps even the ER4S. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Jun 3, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
According to CNET the Karma is rated at 60mW/channel. That's twice the 30m/W for the Ipod and suggests the ability to drive perhaps even the ER4S. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

its rated at 30mw/ch.

Jun 3, 2004 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 10
I am using the Karma with Etymotic ER4S's. While I don't consider myself an expert, I do appreciate quality audio, and can hear the difference between HQ and Crap.

I find that the Karma drives my ER4S's just fine, for my taste. The bass seems adequate, after adjusting the Karma EQ, and I haven't felt the desire to feed the Karma into my Headroom Supreme amp. I have always used the amp with my portable CD player, but lately I have been downsizing the stuff I carry with me, hence the purchase of the Karma.

When I travel, I have begun to appreciate that less is more, especially if I can carry a lot of music in a small package like the Karma, and still have HQ audio.

I've only had the Karma for about a week, but so far I'm happy with the way it sounds with my ER4S's. Of course that's not to say that you will be satisfied. As I get older, I find that my hearing is not as good as it used to be, but I still can hear the difference between the "good, better, and best" systems.

Hope this helps.

Jun 4, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #6 of 10
I have the volume level set at 20 give or take 1 or 2, with the normalization set to "off". That seems loud enough to me and I think I would be uncomfortable with it any louder. I don't like to play anything too loud. I think some of my slight hearing loss came about at a concert that I attended a number of years ago. My ears were ringing for hours afterward.

Jun 4, 2004 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 10
I use ER-4P with Karma at volume 11 (ER-4P is 27 Ohm, with 4S adapter 107 Ohm).

Output measurements (at 27 Ohm)

Rio Karma 44,8 mW
Creative Zen Xtra 32 mW
iRiver IHP-120 15,6 mW
Apple iPod 3 mW (Euro version! US is more, don't know how much)

So, Karma has more than enough juice to drive ER-4P and apparently also ER-4S (based on sparks comments).

However, be warned that with higher sensitivity headphone at least I can hear my Karma's hard disk spin up during quiet periods.

Jun 6, 2004 at 9:39 AM Post #9 of 10
With unsensitive headphones the sound can be quite weak yes. However, most Euro users (who know about this issue) hack their player with the US firmware to get the full amp output.

regards,
halcyon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back