Asymmetrical V-Moda Vibes
Feb 6, 2007 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Viperx116

New Head-Fier
Is there any chance that an asymmetrical version of the Vibes getting released? I just can't go back to Y shaped. I think I might have to settle for a CX300 for now.

Feb 6, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #3 of 16
I posted a long thread once about Y vs J cables and why we always use symmetrical as well as why companies make asymetrical. In a nutshell, nearly 100% of consumers in our test panel prefer even-length so that is what we use.

The user reviews on Apple.com/Amazon.com if you use asymetrical cables is pretty bad - which was very similar to our test panels even though some enthusiasts do prefer J-type

sorry bout that, maybe custom cabling some day down the road
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 16
Well I really hope you guys release a J-style version even if it's for a niche market. I like the ease of just tucking the earbuds under my shirt when I'm done and just as quickly get it out when I need it.

Y-styles are just too cumbersome for me since I gotta fold the cord and put it away in my pocket.

Feb 7, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 16
I had never read of someone preferring the J style. Variety is the spice of life but I can't stand them. I have some ear buds that are excellent but because of the hastle of the wire, J style, I almost never use these very good sounds transducers. I may modify them just because of the wire.

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by _M2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
right nnow, i think the cx300s are your best bet for the J-stlye

The J-style on the cx300 is badly executed, as they lack a movable cord manager (or how do you call those tubes that you move up towards the buds so the cable stays together?) so the cable tangles up like mad. As much as I like the cx300 for what they are, this is once quality that really puts me off. These are supposed to be easy "shove in the pocket" phones, and whenever you pull them out again, you have to untagle that mess. Bah.

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted a long thread once about Y vs J cables and why we always use symmetrical as well as why companies make asymetrical. In a nutshell, nearly 100% of consumers in our test panel prefer even-length so that is what we use.

The user reviews on Apple.com/Amazon.com if you use asymetrical cables is pretty bad - which was very similar to our test panels even though some enthusiasts do prefer J-type

sorry bout that, maybe custom cabling some day down the road
smily_headphones1.gif

Val - if I am correct - you posted that thread on iLounge and I always recall it because the conclusions reached and issues raised so closely mirrored my own, in fact there was a time over on iLounge when you couldn't move in the forum for threads complaining about Sony and their obnoxious J cable fitted to the 51/71's.

I'm having to make do with a J cable at the moment, seeing as my Roxx's haven't arrived yet, but when they do you better believe I'll be glad to pack these 300's away.

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 16
leqin - why haven't your red roxx arrived? Bummer, you were one of the first to order... is it shipped to UK?

Here was the post I did on iLounge last May 2006, please note these are MY personal opinions, many people do like J cables too. This is just my reasoning for Y cables, as well as the results of our consumer test panels and research.

TRUTH::: why mfgrs use asymmetrical, symmetrical, and/or extension cords

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why do Sony, Philips, Audio-Technica, and some earphone companies use asymmetrical cords with WAY LONG extension cords?

I asked the same thing to my engineers at V-MODA when we were designing our first headphones - Remix and Bass Freq...

First of all, it should be noted that from our research panel of 30 iPod users, nobody preferred the asymmetrical to even-length cables with a cable manager like the one we include (Modawrap). Our test panel was composed out of 25 normal users and 5 techies (I am sure out of 30 techies a few may have voted for asymmetrical). It was probably the number one complaint when user panels tested the Sony MDR-EX71SL vs our Bass Freq.

Now - why do these companies do this if the majority of consumers do not prefer it? Obviously, different strokes for different folks - yet here is the honest answer from engineers and our factories that have designed headphones over for over 10 years:

1) Sony does it, so it was copied by everybody. It is sad but true - what Sony does seems to be the only way to think for many brands. This was the HONEST answer from 4 earphone engineers and one of our factories. Apple and a few others (thank you) said wait a minute, even-length is WAY better and saved us all from the asymmetrical tyranny that may have ruled the planet.

Now why did Sony do this in the first place?
1) the in-line remote control used on many Mini-Disc players required the use of an extension cord, and almost everybody used a remote with MD

MY POV::: iPods rule over MD now

2) asymmetrical may be better to hang the cable behind the head, which suposedly was preffered in Asia markets. It was thought that it will "sway" less to keep it secure.

MY POV::: I feel the overall weight, housing ergonomics, and fittings makes a bigger difference and we optimize the headphones to stay secure when placed in front of the head as opposed to behind - our headphones and Apples are made to be in front of the head to show off your cable or tuck under your shirt. But they may also be worn around the ear or behind now with Vibe just as easily (Bass Freq/Remix should be worn in FRONT).

3) asymmetrical design may add a tiny bit of reception for devices that use the cable as antennas for FM tuners

MY POV::: it is negligable according to our engineers and cable length, materials, and design are more important for reception. Besides a small percentage of people use FM with iPods and need antennas, the sound quality of FM is very outdated for use with hi-fi headphones.

4) disconnecting from a long cable gives the option of short or very long cables.

MY POV::: it is usually too short or too long by many mfgrs way. V-MODA researched our products for jogging, computer, and daily use to optimize the cable lengths and diameters that work best. We include a modawrap cable manager to shorten the cables while you are using the earphones, without any complicated winders or extra long cables tangles.

It should be noted that I personally feel that asymmetrical do not look very stylish when worn, and since we are making fashion headphones this is not an option for our company.

How do we determine cable length and diameters for security, quality, and jogging:

We tried every diameter (1.7 to 3.0mm) and length of cable (27"-35" main, 12-14" stereo) on a 6-10 mile jog test (depending on incline of my path haha) to determine optimal sizes. It should be noted we added a small length of 1.5" to the main cable (from 30.5 to 32").

We are continously researching cable lengths for aesthetic reasons and to make sure laptop/computer users and 6'5" and taller users can keep the iPods in their pant pockets. The extra 1.5" over Apple stock earbuds we felt made them a little better for taller and computer users.

We also are working with some VERY special cable materials that feel and look different than others on the market. We have introduced the first with Remix (color metal braided cables), and we hope to introduce another special cable that has no "memory effect" we've been developing for a while for a new product that is launching this Summer. (This is the silk cable on the new Bass Freqs in Green, Red, and Black right now)

Here is a little insight on how we research, audition, and design our collection:

http://www.v-moda.com/Home/your%20wo...0audition.aspx

Hope this helps everybody!

Remix and Bass Freq cable lengths for now:
30.5" plug to y-connector, 13.5" symmetrical stereo, modawrap to adjust plug to y-connector length to personal preference

We are switching to 32" plug to y-connector in the future (a small change), but I'll keep the reason a secret for now... any guesses why ?

Cheers!

Val Kolton
V-MODA:::

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The J-style on the cx300 is badly executed, as they lack a movable cord manager (or how do you call those tubes that you move up towards the buds so the cable stays together?)

The reason we (and maybe Sennheiser) don't have that movable slider is because of two reasons. 1) we use different cable materials, and PVC cable (regular plastic) is the only cable material that works good with sliders IMO because if we use "silky" cables the slider will stick and break the cable eventually; and 2) the #1 failure point of headphones is the y-connector. Many users will shove the slider hard against the y-connector, and unknowingly increase the chances of breaking their earbuds over time. You can read the reviews on Amazon/Apple of some earbuds with sliders that one channel goes out very often.

Interestingly, the y-connector is the #1 failure point of headphones as it gets the most stress from pulls. I would have guessed plug, but actually the plug is a very rare problem.

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 16
Add me to the J style cord fans. I've loved them for the longest, putting the cord behind my neck. I'm currently getting used to the Y cord on my e500's and I still prefer the J style. =[

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #13 of 16
the concept behind the j-cord, i find, is a good one. personally, i thought i would despise the j-cord when i got my CX300s but it doesn't really bother me. my preference still is a symetrical y. i also thought a slider was a good idea but then i found i never used it with my shures. seems to me v-moda got it right.

as for the tangled mess, i find the cable wraps really help. i'm not a fan of the one v-moda supplies - sorry, val. the sumajins are nice but sometimes i find the body a bit too narrow. the new belkins that you can get at target (and i'm sure a ton of other places) work pretty nicely. i still would like to see one that is more tubular. i don't like sharp bends in the wire especially when dealing with the very thin wires of iems and canalphones.

just my 2 cents.
plainface.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by deviationer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
every time I think of J cords for headphones/earbuds I think of sony and their shotty cables.

Very convincing argument.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I know another one; because I hate microsoft everytrime I see as keyboard I have to throw up.
Differentation is an adult ability.

And, I like Y-cords but J-cords too; they have advantages as well as disadvantages (if the J-cord is worn behind the head; not everyone does that for some reason).
The disdvantages are named above.
The advantages are IMO that when you take them out they dangle on your shoulders automatically and the J-cord gets stuk in the collar and thus holds the phones in place.

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as for the tangled mess, i find the cable wraps really help. i'm not a fan of the one v-moda supplies - sorry, val. the sumajins are nice but sometimes i find the body a bit too narrow. the new belkins that you can get at target (and i'm sure a ton of other places) work pretty nicely.

No offense! It is shaped like our logo, and similar to the Sumajin. We'll always research new wrap designs, but we are kinda partial to our logo, go figure
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back