Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #721 of 734
clearly something is wrong with your hardware (either mainboard or the sound card). you can't blame the software driver as it's working properly for us.

It's a brand new HP Envy X360 Ryzen laptop, and the Xonar works fine on another PC (Win 7). Could be some incompatibility with the AMD motherboard I guess. I've noticed the software (and possibly driver) looks identical to another identically specced soundcard (the Sewell Soundbox Pro aka Diamond Xtreme aka SIIG HD aka Maplin HD) so I may try and play around with the drivers for that.

Sep 8, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #722 of 734
don't confuse the windows' native usb sound card driver with other proprietary software suite/driver solutions from brands like ASUS, Creative etc. Windows' "USB Soundcard" driver has no fancy software suite, it just let you use the card on its own directly.

if you are sure with your hardware, I suggest you to format your PC and install Windows 10 again from scratch and just plug'n play your sound card without installing any audio driver from outside.

Sep 17, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #723 of 734
Kindly reminder and saver of the day: As for majority of people now use W10. Please download and install (x86 or x64 based on your W10) Windows 8 (8.0.11.19 last WHQL) for Xonar U7 or Echelon does not matter. May have to use compatibility mode for setup executable.

install those WHQL drivers accordingly. Do not use any other version as they are all broken in terms of sound quality..

Hi, restarting this thread as I am building a car audio sound system partly using the U7. But the U7 is mkii now. Can anybody confirm if the distortion due to the bad driver programming was fixed on the U7 mkii under windows 10 64 bit ?

If the MKii also suffers distortion then I will build my system around the older version U7.. but this means buying a secondhand unit and having no warranty so would rather use the mkii if that is fixed. I dont care about any of the software features in later drivers or versions. Just no distortion is what is important as it will be amplified from the line out into a high quality car sound system.

Sep 18, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #724 of 734
Hi, restarting this thread as I am building a car audio sound system partly using the U7. But the U7 is mkii now. Can anybody confirm if the distortion due to the bad driver programming was fixed on the U7 mkii under windows 10 64 bit ?

If the MKii also suffers distortion then I will build my system around the older version U7.. but this means buying a secondhand unit and having no warranty so would rather use the mkii if that is fixed. I dont care about any of the software features in later drivers or versions. Just no distortion is what is important as it will be amplified from the line out into a high quality car sound system.

I have the Mk I and as far as I can ascertain it's the only one that's not working as it was designed. Asus in their cynical shenanigans brought out the Mk II to fix the problems the first one was having with Windows 10, instead of fixing the driver, thus expecting people to pay again. No thanks. Not only that, they downgraded the features for the Mk II. And I would take notice of this behaviour from them if I were you, if you plan on buying one of their products expecting it to work after Windows updates again.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #725 of 734
I don't know if I also wrote it here but yes Microsoft recently have usbaudio2 driver developed by Thesycon for Microsoft. Check this link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/audio/usb-2-0-audio-drivers
They are the real deal generic drivers for all USB 2.0 based audio devices. So no more need to install proprietary drivers that ****s on us with bloatware and misconfigured settings etc.

I just love it! DSP effects are gone means that I don't have to worry about disabling them and you get the quality of whatever your DAC is, it's really that plain and simple.

Note: Also update your WASAPI plug-in for foobar2k if you have it. For movies, I use MPC-BE's audio renderer within MPC-HC and it's fully working with WASAPI-exclusive. You don't need ASIO unless you are an audio composer and really really need it, but then again you won't be using Xonar U7 anyways.

I think most folks here missed the significance of your post. USBaudio 2.0 is a significant step by Microsoft. So what if they are 10 years late. Our lives all just got easier. No more fussing with driver settings assuming your DAC or other sound device that follows the 2.0 standard has been written properly.

Dec 27, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #726 of 734
Hi,

I'm planing to upgrade my Xonar U7 1st gen with Topping NX4 or Fiio BTR5.

I will use it with Meze Classics 99 headphones. Will be a true improvement in sound quality?

How about ocasionally gaming and movie. Those two will suitable?

Mar 4, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #727 of 734
I'm using Xonar U7 1st version for almost 5 years and once I upgraded Win7 to Win10 my Dolby home theater v4 stopped working. Are you guys have the same problem? I can't use dolby anymore, only Xonar Audio Center is working without Equalizer and other stuff which I was using previously...
I tried 4.14, 4.16 and even drivers from MKII and Echelon Edition. Any feedback?

Mar 4, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #728 of 734
I'm using Xonar U7 1st version for almost 5 years and once I upgraded Win7 to Win10 my Dolby home theater v4 stopped working. Are you guys have the same problem? I can't use dolby anymore, only Xonar Audio Center is working without Equalizer and other stuff which I was using previously...
I tried 4.14, 4.16 and even drivers from MKII and Echelon Edition. Any feedback?

I gave up on my Mk I a year ago due to driver issues in Win 10. Sounds like the situation hasn't improved since then.

I ended up getting one of these for surround sound duties, second hand for £20, and have had no problems with drivers.

Mar 4, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #729 of 734

I gave up on my Mk I a year ago due to driver issues in Win 10. Sounds like the situation hasn't improved since then.

I ended up getting one of these for surround sound duties, second hand for £20, and have had no problems with drivers.

https://shop.techswitchcf.com/produ...-khz-audio-7-1-channels-sound-cards-sw-30415/

1.jpg

Oct 30, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #731 of 734

I am using the Windows 8 (64 bit) WHQL certified driver from Asus on Windows 10 and have had no issues whatsoever with Dolby Home Theatre V4, this specific driver was recommended on another forum i recall (may have been this one actually in an earlier post). I have used multiple versions of Windows 10 (currently on 2004) with this driver and Dolby Home Theatre v4 still works fine. Give the below driver a try.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Audio_Card/Xonar_U7/Xonar_U7_8_0_11_19_WHQL.rar

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #732 of 734
Nevermind - sent the unit back

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #733 of 734
Just a heads up for those that still own this DAC. I also had the same random popping/crackling in Windows 10, which the Windows 8 driver workaround seemed to fix. However, I started getting unresponsive YouTube videos and the Xonar control panel wouldn't allow setting changes like sampling rate.

What's seemed to clear everything up is using Voicemeeter as the Windows sound device with the Xonar as the hardware slave in MME mode. ASIO and WDM modes have sound defects and do not work properly. KS mode also seems to work but I haven't tested long term. I'm able to use the Windows 10 driver.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #734 of 734
a month ago I purchased the mkii version, because I've had enough heating up the card to get it working at every computer boot. sadly they didnt make a good successor out of this card like newer, better DAC, opamps etc. yet there's no rivalry in the market and this is the best external solution at good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back