Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #707 of 734
Actually there is and it was really simple solution for me. Don't think it's permament solution though:

Tried MKII drivers again and set "Priority" to "high" on Task Manager.. boom, no lag whatsoever. Priority was on "below average" before..

So weird.

E: downgraded myself to W10 1703.. no idea if this works on 1709.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #708 of 734
20180129_181455.jpg
so this is my xonar u7 now... i opened the case to touch the quartz everytime i boot my pc (see the video i posted before). i cut the plastic that came with it in box to cover the top for dusts.

Jan 29, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #710 of 734
Kinda creepy workaround I'd say. :)
Also, not sure how touching the quartz helps here...don't understand the "behind the scene" of this scenario.

they say its the heat from the finger but it is actually the resistance that goes lower (shorting it) with a bare finger makes quartz come alive again. its not much safe to do (may short other things) yet devices like this have protector components. actually some people solder specific amount of resistor there but i dont have any soldering kit.

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #711 of 734
Saw some discussion surrounding the MKII and just to let everyone know, I purchased the U7 MkII because A) It was all I could find, B) MKII would imply that it is superior.

Minus some minor chip upgrades, this has turned into a major disappointment. The software is lackluster and no longer includes Dolby HT4. Gen1 Drivers are not compatible with MKII

If you own the U7 1st gen and don't have any issues, hold on to it and pass on the MKII. Major letdown.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #712 of 734
Saw some discussion surrounding the MKII and just to let everyone know, I purchased the U7 MkII because A) It was all I could find, B) MKII would imply that it is superior.

Minus some minor chip upgrades, this has turned into a major disappointment. The software is lackluster and no longer includes Dolby HT4. Gen1 Drivers are not compatible with MKII

If you own the U7 1st gen and don't have any issues, hold on to it and pass on the MKII. Major letdown.

on the contrary, newer revisions of same device are better due to implied improvements. as far as the drivers, do not install any proprietary driver/software suite and use plug'n play windows usbaudio2 driver for the untouched sound quality.

also a note for the, software(s) come with driver suites like dolby ht4 or other "gamer" features are all snake oils. regarding dolby ht4, one knows for a fact that virtual surround sound processing for headphones sounds worse than the actual true stereo sound and even real 7.1 surround headphones are way worse than the stereo headphones. so in reality, you are not losing anything, only its better for you.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #713 of 734
on the contrary, newer revisions of same device are better due to implied improvements. as far as the drivers, do not install any proprietary driver/software suite and use plug'n play windows usbaudio2 driver for the untouched sound quality.

also a note for the, software(s) come with driver suites like dolby ht4 or other "gamer" features are all snake oils. regarding dolby ht4, one knows for a fact that virtual surround sound processing for headphones sounds worse than the actual true stereo sound and even real 7.1 surround headphones are way worse than the stereo headphones. so in reality, you are not losing anything, only its better for you.

So the live/active/automatic (whatever it's called) Equalizer that came with DHT4 didn't work or sounded like poo-poo?

That was the one feature that I wanted, not sure how it worked on the Xonar but on my Denon, Audyssey (active EQ) works great

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #715 of 734
if you need an EQ to fix/tune your certain frequencies, then you should be really looking at your sound equipment on hardware level EQ.
I know that would be ideal, but I am still curious about the active EQ in DHT4.

BTW, the U7 MKII doesn't sound bad at all, that wasn't what I was getting at. In fact it sounds fantastic and has a feature over the Dragonfly (which I was also considering), true ASIO support. My FLAC files sound so good, I could sit here all day at work.

Aug 20, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #716 of 734
The Win 8 WHQL driver no longer works on Win 10. Crackling and popping like crazy. I'm wondering if it's anything to do with USB 3, as I had this problem on a previous laptop, but only on the USB 3 sockets. USB 2 was fine. Then again the default Windows 10 driver for the U7 works fine on USB 3. The trouble with the default driver is the surround channels don't work. I may have to install a windows 7 virtual machine to get this to work.

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #717 of 734
The Win 8 WHQL driver no longer works on Win 10. Crackling and popping like crazy. I'm wondering if it's anything to do with USB 3, as I had this problem on a previous laptop, but only on the USB 3 sockets. USB 2 was fine. Then again the default Windows 10 driver for the U7 works fine on USB 3. The trouble with the default driver is the surround channels don't work. I may have to install a windows 7 virtual machine to get this to work.

Please read previous posts. You can use windows 10's plug&play driver. Just uninstall any previously installed driver, and plug your device for windows to recognize as USB sound card. There is no reason for surround channels not to work, it works just fine.

Aug 20, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #718 of 734
Please read previous posts. You can use windows 10's plug&play driver. Just uninstall any previously installed driver, and plug your device for windows to recognize as USB sound card. There is no reason for surround channels not to work, it works just fine.

Thanks for reply. I've read carefully the last 10 or so pages. By "default windows 10 driver" I meant the plug&play one, which I've tried and yes it cures the crackling but only outputs on the stereo outs, none of the other analog outputs have any sound. I've gone through the windows speaker set up for this device, set it to quadraphonic, 5.1, 7.1 but can't get any surround sound out. Is there a trick to getting surround to work with the plug&play driver? The only reason I bought this device was for surround sound through the analog outputs. The rest of the stuff I don't care about or need.

[Edit] Scrub that. Got surround working :) Was a wiring problem. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #719 of 734
Well, after a couple weeks experience with the WIndows 10 plug & play driver, all I can say is... it too, is utter rubbish. The crackling, while less initially, returns with a vengeance randomly, making it unlistenable. Not only that, but the driver crashes multiple times a day, bringing down every usb port on my laptop with it. I have to unplug and replug the Xonar multiple times every day to keep it and the other USB devices working, putting ridiculous repetitive strain on the fragile port. Looks like this Xonar is going in the bin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back