Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Oct 30, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #526 of 734
welp, I gave up on this soundcard, clearly it's defected and I don't think I want to try my luck again with this, I will probably stick with the onboard of my asrock z87 killer and get a small m-audio card for my microphone, since it appears that a sound card with virtual surround that also has a decent mic does not exist.

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #527 of 734
Hello guys,

I recently bought this Xonar U7 and I'm getting massively frustrated. I'm running windows 10 on my laptop and i tried everything to get that card working, but after countless times installing and uninstalling drivers for windows 7/8/8.1/10, disabling the internal card from bios, i just can't figure it out. I can't play any of my music on any player(I use foobar, but tried everything and it's certainly from the drivers), but on youtube i can listen without a problem. Asus released 2 version of the drivers for windows 10 and both of them are not working at all for me. I tried on my girlfriend's laptop, which runs with windows 8.1 and boom...everything was working perfectly. So I want to ask someone, who was able to get that card running on windows 10, how you've done it. I surely don't want to get back to windows 8.1, most likely I will change the soundcard. Please replay. Thank you!

Oct 31, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #528 of 734
  Hello guys,

I recently bought this Xonar U7 and I'm getting massively frustrated. I'm running windows 10 on my laptop and i tried everything to get that card working, but after countless times installing and uninstalling drivers for windows 7/8/8.1/10, disabling the internal card from bios, i just can't figure it out. I can't play any of my music on any player(I use foobar, but tried everything and it's certainly from the drivers), but on youtube i can listen without a problem. Asus released 2 version of the drivers for windows 10 and both of them are not working at all for me. I tried on my girlfriend's laptop, which runs with windows 8.1 and boom...everything was working perfectly. So I want to ask someone, who was able to get that card running on windows 10, how you've done it. I surely don't want to get back to windows 8.1, most likely I will change the soundcard. Please replay. Thank you!

You could use the WHQL drivers, or the W10 beta drivers. All work for me. 

I don't use foobar but have you tried looking into the options and checking which device it is playing the sounds to?

Oct 31, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #529 of 734
  You could use the WHQL drivers, or the W10 beta drivers. All work for me. 

I don't use foobar but have you tried looking into the options and checking which device it is playing the sounds to?

Hi, thank you for your comment!
Yes, my defaut device is the Xonar, I disabled the internal in Bios, then enableIed it, tried almost everything. I tried every single driver out there and none of it was working. The problem is not existent only in foobar, but also in every player( incl. WMP, video players as GOM, Splash and many others), it gave me some kind of driver error (foobar showed: Unrecoverable playback error: Unspecified error, in WMP was something similiar). When I play music on youtube I get sound, but on my laptop I just can't get anything to work. I completely ran out of ideas.

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #533 of 734
When I reinstalled my genuine Windows 7 the same thing happened to me
deadhorse.gif
.  A pc genius who helped me told me.
I have been looking for 14 months for an answer everywhere under the sun, probably hundreds of hours of investigation.  The ASUS support is so complicated just to send a request for their online support was a 2 hour hassle and they simply broke off communication.  
I simply will be extra careful in the future to find these things out.  Its why I haven't yet downloaded Windows 10 and why i don't ever buy the latest version of my favourite tech toy.  Its best to see what problems creep in and if they are worked out.

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #534 of 734
To those who have the same problem like mine - the only solution is to roll back from Windows 10 to 8.1/7...or you have to wait until Asus release new working driver(and only IF they do). Both versions from Asus for W10 didn't work at all on my laptop and after 3 frustrating days trying every single driver out there, reading a lot and running out of patience I finally gave up and rolled back to Windows 8.1. Now everything is working like a charm.

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #535 of 734
I don't understand.  This Asus Xonar U7 is  not working by quite a number of us. I've been trying 14 months online to deal with it, the price is $87 in the USA, I paid about $115.00 in my country.  What can be done?  Any ideas?  At best the Asus support really stinks.  Maybe if we made a group effort?

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #537 of 734
Hello all,

I was recommended this as a replacement for my sound card.

which is the "Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro"

I really loved the card, and I loved the I/O box as it was a cool feature and easy access to change settings, and mute!

There is also a lot of extra features for line in and such that I personally probably wont be using, but someone else might like it.

I've heard the card is still a very good card, and is up there with the top end cards of today.

So I'm curious how it would compare to this?

How do these "External sound cards" compare to internal sound cards/on-board audio  (why are they called sound "cards" still LOL)?

I'm also looking at this motherboard www.msi.com/product/motherboard/Z170A-GAMING-M3.html#hero-overviewa

which has multiple inputs for my need (have  Logitech 5.1 speakers with green, orange, and black cables), so I'm curious to see how the onboard would be?

Thoughts?

Thanks all!

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #538 of 734
Hello everyone,
I have had the Asus U7 but did not really like it as the software was problematic on my system Win7. I have also had the Asus Xonar Essence STX internal sound card and the Asus Xonar STX 2 with 7.1 Daughter Board and while they sounded fantastic having to go into the software to adjust the sound was tiresome...what do I have now...I have just purchased the Asus Strix 7.1 Headphones with the external Control Box Sound Card and I am personally really liking it for it's ease of operation...just push a button to change the sound signature. The only downside is that you can not plug in any other headphones to the Control Box as the connection type is Asus's own make. How did the internal STX's compare to the Strix Control Box for sound...very good but I think the possible weak link is the Asus Strix 7.1 Headphones and although I am liking them they have a flat sound signature with highs clipped back so not shrilly sounding, slightly recessed but clear mids and great bass but not muddy...as they are Gaming Headphones I still found the sound to be a pleasing listening experience in Stereo mode while listening to my old CD collection using just an internal Bluray player on the PC. I have owned a pair of Grado GS1000, Ultrasone Edition 8 and the 'Lehmann Black Cube Linear Headphone Amp ($6500 in my countries currency) and while these combos where amazing they were not that much of a huge difference in sound quality to the Asus Stix 7.1 and Control Box set up and definitely not as versatile as the Asus Control Box ($299)...I suppose my sound requirements have somewhat changed...lol
The Asus Control Box can also connect external 7.1 surround Sound Speakers to it...I have not tried this as I do not own any external speakers.
Most modern motherboards will have very good audio and I still use Asus Realtech on other PC systems and find it great.

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #540 of 734
Hey guys, so I recently purchased the Xonar u7 not realizing it was the original and not the echelon edition. I was trying to buy the echelon for the sonic radar because I am deaf in one ear and the Sonic Radar feature would help me immensely. I'm hoping there is a way to possibly download the echelon drivers for my original u7 so I can use the sonic radar feature. I stumbled across another forum where someone indicated it would be possible. Here are the instructions. I'm wondering if someone would be interested in maybe helping me out with this. It would be greatly appreciated. :D

At first I'm sorry for my English 
smile.gif

How to install U7 Echelon driver for U7 (x64 only):
After deleting U7 driver:
1) Boot from "Disable driver signature enforcement" (F7)
2) Download this archive: http://yadi.sk/d/z3xJEiKkETgKt
3) Primarily ruining nhAsusU7Camo_64.msi from this archive, and do NOT reboot
4) Go to C:\Program Files\ASUSTeKcomputer.Inc\nhAsusU7Camo\StockDriver \CMediaU7Camo\ and replace from archive nhAsusU7Camo.inf if you have Win 8 or 8.1, and if you have Windows 7 you mos download this .inf: and replace from him , 
5) Launch Device manger, and manually update the driver software for U7 from C:\Program Files\ASUSTeKcomputer.Inc\nhAsusU7Camo\StockDriver \CMediaU7Camo\ directory, allowing all questions.
6) Now run CheckCMediaU7HW.msi from archive, and after this, run Setup_1.0.8.exe (if installation have been successful - you did everything right)
7) Congratulations! You can use exclusive features from U7 Echelon Edition, Sonic radar, Sonic studio Pro. But in these interface not working some switches:
Audio Format
Audioconfig and volume control
But you can do all this in old interface, or windows mixer

Checked in Windows 8.1 x64

Old interface you can download from this link:
http://yadi.sk/d/EIleRy8QETgtP
This interface working in any directory, desktop, Document folder....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back