Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #511 of 734
Bj0rnis, try reading http://www.head-fi.org/t/669127/asus-xonar-u7-dac-amp-appreciation-impressions-thread/480#post_11865452, maybe it's because U7 has a bit shorter jack plugs. Or maybe you have some DSP effects ON.

As for U7 DAC/headamp, sound is pretty decent, so there's now way not to drive correctly your headphones (unless you're a basshead, ofc).

Oct 2, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #512 of 734
  Bj0rnis, try reading http://www.head-fi.org/t/669127/asus-xonar-u7-dac-amp-appreciation-impressions-thread/480#post_11865452, maybe it's because U7 has a bit shorter jack plugs. Or maybe you have some DSP effects ON.

As for U7 DAC/headamp, sound is pretty decent, so there's now way not to drive correctly your headphones (unless you're a basshead, ofc).

First off, yes i guess i would call myself a bass-head. 

The headphones I use have a 4-pin connection and it didnt work at first even though i tried pulling out the plug abit, so i bought an adapter which makes the plug 3-pin so now it connects fine. Still, i did try pulling out the plug abit with the adapter, it resulted in sound only through the right headphone. 

DSP? You mean like compression? 

I went to the attic and got my old Sennheiser HD555, thought i had to try them to rule out if the 4-pin is causing problems. I first plugged them into the mobo and the sound was fine (pretty much bass) and then i plugged them into the U7 and the bass went much much lower but the sound was clearer. 

Oct 2, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #513 of 734
By DSP I mean EQ and other effects from U7's software. Some DSP effects may change the sound a lot.

U7 is quite neutral sounding, so...no much bass with default settings. You probably need an external amp with bass boost function.

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #514 of 734
Without the use of equalizer i get next to no bass (when i increase the 32hz to max is marginally better) and the fact that the motherboard produces more bass is just wrong. 

I e-mailed ASUS with a question regarding this. They replied with "Beta is an as-is driver and we do not promise that it works as well as other drivers". Crap service. 

Ah well, guess i just have to wait until they release a proper driver for windows 10.. 

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #515 of 734
Without the use of equalizer i get next to no bass (when i increase the 32hz to max is marginally better) and the fact that the motherboard produces more bass is just wrong. 

I e-mailed ASUS with a question regarding this. They replied with "Beta is an as-is driver and we do not promise that it works as well as other drivers". Crap service. 

Ah well, guess i just have to wait until they release a proper driver for windows 10.. 

Yo! Try the Win 8 drivers! Try the one with wqhl(Im not exactly sure) letters near to it. I had the similar problem but on Win 7. Notonly bass but much of the low end was not really there..You can fşnd more information in posts.

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #516 of 734
Just create an Ubuntu USB life stick and boot from it. ALSA works perfect with this DAC.
Test how U7 sounds on Ubuntu and see if gets better than Windows.

P.S.: I've tested U7 on Ubuntu 1-2 years ago and the only downsize was inability to select the volume gain (I think it was on low-gain under Ubuntu), but the sound was very good indeed (AKG 550).

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #517 of 734
For those planning to listed to U7 under Linux, since last year alsamixer supports adjusting U7's internal gain: http://askubuntu.com/questions/401591/is-asus-xonar-u7-supported/431658#431658?newreg=766dc5fd7cbf4cf19c3a94afc02ca33a. Adjustment is done linear and not in 3 steps like in Windows.

Right now I'm listening on Ubuntu 14 with Banshee Media Player, because this player knows about UPNP protocol and is able to see my Raspberry's miniDLNA server. :wink:

Oct 10, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #518 of 734
the echelon version does not even have win10 drivers yet :frowning2: should i try vanilla ones? I mean I am on whql drivers from vanilla anyway :p
For the USB connection problem I had, it still keeps happening and kind of a workaround is to make the card "warmup". Which is connect the usb cable enough to give power to the board but not enough to make windows detect it, then I keep it this way for a few minutes, and then after connecting the USB completely it starts working...

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #521 of 734
Hi all. I installed w10 beta drivers but there is no sonic studio! It has more options than Xonar U7 Audio Center. 
I used it in w7 and I want it! 
frown.gif

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #525 of 734

Yes but sonic studio it's very simple to use, only one window. Faster to change things, channels, voices, etc. If Xonar U5 has sonic, why U7 doesn't?

I agree, and I have no idea why they switched. The sonic studio is so much nicer to use.

Sholud i install new beta driver for Windows 10 X64 or should i stick with an old WHQL that work absoluttelly fine on W 10 (WHQL 8_0_11_17)?

If you want to use the dolby home theatre and don't mind an uglier and not-so-intuitive control panel then you should. Sound-wise I have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back