Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #346 of 734
I had the same problem with my old sennheiser mm30i's , i had to run them through my u7 --> fiio e6 --> mm30is i think it has something to do with inline controls, i dont think the u7 like in line mics and controls, my shure 215s sound amazing in it. :)

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #347 of 734
As Sony created the 3.5 mm standard for their Walkmans, there was no inline control around. Apple just modified it for this purpose, but did not make sure that the new plug is bckwards compatible. Most of the times it works but not with the U7.

Sep 23, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #348 of 734
Hahaha looks like i jumped the gun. Hooked it up to my O2 amp and then my sennhesiers. Sounds prestine. 
atsmile.gif

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #349 of 734
Hey can anyone help me with setting this up? Basically I spent some time trying to install the drivers because it kept coming up with an error message that I couldn't seem to find what exactly it was online. I eventually figured out I had to change the date on my PC to 2013 for some reason, then it worked perfectly. The only problem now is that I don't have the Sonic Studio Pro utility it should come with, though I do have the Dolby home theater program. Any suggestions or am I missing something obvious? Drivers were from the website for windows 8.1, also it's the echelon edition if that helps.

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #350 of 734
On which Windows version are you?

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #352 of 734
Not sure if that helps, but in my Windows 7/64 start menue under all programs there is a folder Xonar U7 Echelon and inside is the link to start the Sonic Studio Pro software. Click it and you get the Sonic Studio open. But W 8.1 I do not know. I am waiting for W9......

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #354 of 734
I've been running one of these for a few months now and pretty happy with it.
Onboard audio died and too many video cards for a pice sound card.
I lack the background to really comment on it's musical ability but I can say
it's pleasing in general with music, games and the drivers have been stable.

I ordered a set of decent headphones and an amp/dac the other day so maybe I can
do some comparo, my gut suspects it's as good as any other cheap one.

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #355 of 734
I already have some Sennheisers, I'll try them later today. I just used the apple earbuds to test basic functionality. I guess I wasn't expecting the apple eat buds to sound worse than the on board sound, though I knew it wasn't going to blow me away until I tried the sennheisers

Quoting you on this because I think the problem lies in the TRRS jack of Apple Earbuds. Ironically, I've been connecting my rather high-end Ultimate Ears 10 Pro with an UE iPhone cable (with mic) to the Asus Xonar U7 and the sound quality was horrid. After trying the UE SuperFi 5 and the standard Apple Earbuds, which exhibited the same issues, I've tried the original UE 10 Pro cable — bliss. So it's really an issue with the connector. In addition, i've tried an 3 to 4 connector 3.5mm adapter which worked with the UE10 Pro /w UE Mic cable. The adapter is super flimsy though, so the Asus Xonar U7 switched randomly between headphone and speaker output. I've ordered a higher quality adapter and will test if that helps tomorrow. I'd rather keep the UE iPhone cable on my UE10 Pros.

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #356 of 734
Is the normal EQ option available for a pair of headphones? 

Right now I have the U3 and I like it alot, But I'd like to have one that has a dedicated volume control that would control the whole system/windows volume.

Also, Is it worth upgrade from a U3 to a U7 sound quality wise? I am using the Sennheiser HD-25's 

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #357 of 734
It has eq for the headphone. I would suggest to use the Echelon version. The software is much better. The sound quality is much better than the U3, it has a real headphone amp.

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #358 of 734
It has eq for the headphone. I would suggest to use the Echelon version. The software is much better. The sound quality is much better than the U3, it has a real headphone amp.

The only difference is the software and the camo look. Think I'd stick with the regular U7 since i mostly only listen to music, If it has an EQ  setting that is all I need.

I really like the U3, But the lack of volume control sucks :frowning2:.

Oct 27, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #359 of 734
The Echelon's software suite is much better not only for games, but for everything else. I have both, you can trust me.

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #360 of 734
hi there,
im looking to get this sound card, is it still worth it for the 80€???
I need one to replace my laptop audio that is a VIA card with creative sound cinema, it is realy bad when I plug the headphones it have alot of echo it really to force to use the creative software.

anyways I have superlux 681 evo headphones and I mostly will use it for edm/rock music and games

also is there any mod to use the  Echelon's software suite in the normal U7?

thanks in advance and sorry for bad english

Users who are viewing this thread

Back